• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Hopefully this is the right place to post this...

I've decided to take up building electric guitars as a pseudo second hobby. I don't know much about the topic, but I have most of the tools and materials I feel that I'm going to need, and I definitely plan on studying up. I'm aware of the task before me, at the very least. Being a hacker, I have a predisposition for wanting to do things a little bit outside of the box. Seeing as they're mostly for experiment, and I don't expect them to turn out that well, does anyone have any suggestions for something cool I could build into my first few guitars? I'm trying to avoid massive amounts of wiring, but hey if the idea is worth it, I'm game. Heck, if I could find a good use for a Raspberry Pi, I'd throw one of those in there, just so I could say, "This guitar runs Linux."

The main idea is to just do something interesting once all the tedious woodwork is done. I was considering gutting a distortion pedal, or octaver and finding a nice way to build it into the guitar. Let me know what you guys think.

-TheFunk

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

You can give building your own pickups a go...I've helped a friend source parts for hummbuckers before, that's about the limit of my experience in building parts for the actual guitar. I do build tube amps for fun tho (used to make a good bit of spending money from it), so feel free to ask about tube stuff! I have lots of spare components too.

#3 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

i suppose i would remind the issue of wood/construction quality  to wards, neck thru/multi lamination ect. instead of just doing the old gibson  wood glue and a clamp, as per wiring you could do like the older, and now recently reintroduced b.c.rich what with the, coild tapping for each pickup, a phaseswitch,  a rotary switch with tone filters which is probably just different caps.. then the problem is your guitar basically has an instrument panel on it, dont know if i would care for a distortion pedal. but something like an lpb1, where its just a straighforward volumeboost/gainstage. could always make it active and just build an op amp and get some simple eq or something if desired.

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

ofcourse just recommendations/starting points/ stuff you could look at, but i probbaly wouldnt put in a distortion/the od pedals that are labeled as od when they are really a distortion pedal like tube screamer/big muff ect as those have internal clipping/distortion, where a lpb1/alot of other clean/power boosters just increase the volume as thats od, you just push the amp to clip harder, or distortion pedal or whatever its plugged into, octavers/eq, chorous flange revreb delays, ect would all be nice/ would work fine but youd have to figure out how to make everything layout without being too complicated, so the simpler pedals/effects would be easier to work with,

edits: would probably not recommend using anything you dont think you are going to use the majority of the time as if it was something you wanted to cycle on and off would probably be easier with a pedal than having to stop using one of your hands

Edited by dinscurge, 11 February 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#5 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

In the end, I think I might end up gutting an octaver, and installing it with a push pull. I can leave all the controls intact, they'll just be inside the body, and the effect can be powered by a 9V battery, also inside the body. The only problem I can foresee is the battery dieing, but hey, one step at a time right?

I'd love to know how to make a tube amp by the way glitch, that sounds ridiculously cool.

#6 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I did an internal preamp for a friend more than 20 years ago. I got the schematic from Guitar Player magazine. It looks like you can get something similar today. Google Tonekicker and see if this might be something you are interested in.

#7 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'd love to know how to make a tube amp by the way glitch, that sounds ridiculously cool.

They're pretty neat, and not nearly as complicated as the audiophile world wants you to believe (there's also no magic mojo tubes, resistors or cables...not a popular fact, but it stands nonetheless). I really enjoy building small, lower-powered tube amps from old TV tubes as you can usually get away with a single tube and they're super-cheap for good quality (less than $5 for the tube usually).

#8 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

with active pickups they usually just leave the 9v loose lol, in the cavity where all the pots are and the plastic back plate you can remove to replace the battery/if rewiring w.e. nothing saying you cant just put longer wires and put the pot's and stuff on the guitar just prolly dont want big pedals with like 6 pots, or a 10band eq with a volume and gain ect just makes not look so good, and alot of stuff crammed in the cavity/ have to make a very large cavity

#9 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Just make sure everything goes to "11".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrVCjnRdB_k

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!