• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Is anyone here using UDF for their removable media? Just got done formatting an external hard drive in UDF after not being able to write to it (formatted with NTFS) under OS X. There don't seem to be a lot of complaints about UDF being unstable in the long-term, and I generally only use my external drive for moving data from one place to another, but it'd still be nice to hear some success stories in NEVER HAVING TO EMPTY A DRIVE JUST TO CHANGE FORMAT AGAIN.

#2 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'd think it would be pretty stable. Most all consumer grade NAS devices use UDF. I have a NAS that has had the same UDF file system install for three years. It transfers files on a daily basis for backups. 

I've never had any trouble with it. I don't see how it being removable would make it more prone to failure.

There is also an NTFS driver for OSX (forget who makes it). It is commercial (not free as in freedom or beer), but .............

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Huh, so they do! I'd rather not rely on NTFS anyway...you can only expect so much from drivers written by reverse engineering a filesystem. Also the tools for non-Windows NTFS maintenance and recovery don't seem to be as good as fstools for other filesystems.

So far, so good with the flash drive, but I did have OS X 10.8 do something weird with my UDF formatted hard disk on FireWire 800. Stopped talking to the volume, Disk Manager locked up, et c. Data seems to be intact though. As a plus, now I have external disks that aren't ext2 that OpenBSD can read/write!

#4 chronomex

chronomex

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

UDF for USB flash media is a fascinating idea.  According to the tables on Wikipedia, it supports real POSIX attributes, and it's writable by Windows 7?  I'll have to play with this.

#5 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Writable by Win7, OS X and modern Linux systems. It's working out pretty well so far, especially for flash drives. No more FAT32 for write compatibility!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!