• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Murandarume

Murandarume

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

I am writing a book called Electronic Gags. In this book, a fascist government is using trackers to suppress the people. They put the trackers on people's neck's like dog collars. The trackers are connected to the government's computers by GPRS. In this case, the trackers are more like subscribers and the government is like the service provider. In my story, the protagonist has to hack into the government's computers and alter some user accounts. I wanted the hacker to connect his tracker to his laptop and then hack into the government's computers. Is it theoretically possible? I realize that hacking a GPRS network is much more complex than hacking a Wifi networks.

#2 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I read this on lifehacker once...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." ~ Muhammad Ali

I don't really know much on the subject myself, but don't let anyone tell you it's impossible. I do know that you can do a lot with GSM that you shouldn't be able to, but that's a dying technology. The future of cell networks is in LTE. Years from now 3G technologies will have all but died, but according to a lot of networking sites, LTE will still be alive and kicking. At the bottom of this post I've linked an interesting article on jamming an LTE signal. Another thing to keep in mind is that, with wideband RF technology like LTE a clear line of sight can make a huge difference in performance, hence why we have ridiculously tall cell towers everywhere these days. If your protagonist wanted to jam a signal being sent by a tower, and then send his own in it's stead, having a high vantage point would be very beneficial.

http://www.slashgear...-hack-15257270/

#3 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Anything that can be accessed legitimately can be accessed illegitimately. In a GPS tracking scenario typically what happens is a device posts data to a server somewhere and it is reviewed later. With access to the device it is possible at least to see how the data is being posted. At best you could find a vulnerability in that database and exploit it through a compromised GPS tracker.

Even if the system has been secured (there aren't any easy vulnerabilities in the database) a compromised GPS tracker could post false data to it which would lead the authorities to wherever they would want.

#4 Voodoo2

Voodoo2

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

I can't really elaborate on the question very well, nor do I want to (no offense).

I just wanted to say, that is an amazing quote.  Also, (no offense again) I hope that isn't the final title of your book.  Something about it... eh.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!