• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

I know he has some reel to reel tapes that he can't digitize since he no longer owns a reel to reel deck. However I do - so I've been asking him to send me the tapes this winter for me to work on.

That's unfortunate because the HiFi 914 tape is one of my favorites and I know that it was recorded on open reel.  I hope we can hear those some time soon.

I don't think that many people are interested in reel to reel these days.  I saved an Akai deck from the trash and I haven't found a home for it.  It has a problem that a reliable source told me was a simple fix.  Soon it will be sitting on the shelf at Goodwill instead of the shelf in my basement.

My understanding is they're still reasonably popular for studio use; a lot of bands or mix engineers will prefer to print material to tape out of preference. Depending on how big music is where you are, you can probably find someone who wants to care for it.

This could all change sometime soon, though. There've been a lot of plugins coming out designed to emulate the sonic characteristics of tape.

#22 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Alrighty, well, no rush!

Here's to hoping you don't have to bake those tapes, though :p

Ugh... I really hope I don't have to do that. I have read about how the pros do it, and even how regular people can do it too. It just scares me that you have to heat up a tape to get it to play properly again.

#23 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

I've heard you can actually stick a tape (and the deck) in the freezer too. I dunno how reliable it is, but it sounds like it'd be a lot better for the tape then heat.

#24 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

Alrighty, well, no rush!

Here's to hoping you don't have to bake those tapes, though :p

So far so good! I've worked on a few tapes and so far no SSS (Sticky Shed Syndrome). I talked to Evan about it and said that none of his tapes have ever had a problem.

I'll have to see how well the rest of the stack works. (crossing fingers)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!