• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

I've been working with Evan Doorbell to release some more of his raw (unnarrated) tapes.

He has released 8 tapes so far. They are from New York City and Long Island, NY.

I'm posting them here:

http://www.evan-doorbell.com

I hope to get more from him soon.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I've updated the URL since I moved it to a new server.

Edited by dmine45, 04 September 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#2 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Very nice! I'm glad to see there's more tapes ready to come out.

In a way, the raw tapes have kind of a cool feel to them; when listening, it reminds me a lot of hearing an unedited recording of a phreak on just any other day - a lot like the modern recordings I've heard from other people.

#3 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Just a heads up that all the Evan Doorbell tapes have been posted on the Telephone World website in both WAV and MP3 formats.

There are also a few new files on there that haven't been posted to the old Phone Trips website.

I hope to get more files on the site soon!

#4 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for letting us know!  I'm really happy that all of Evan's back-catalog is now available in WAV format.  The tapes you posted in December were very interesting and were all of high fidelity, especially the ones from Farmingdale.  I'm sure I'll find much to enjoy with these as well.  Thanks for posting all of these and to Evan, of course, for producing them!

#5 Digital_Avatar

Digital_Avatar

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

dmine, i sent you a message over on your site. I have a couple of raw recordings from Evan's trip to Quebec. I'm not sure if I got them from another post made here or what. I just wanted to make sure they didn't wind up disappearing into the aether. If you want them, give me a place to upload them.

#6 Digital_Avatar

Digital_Avatar

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Well, I already shared a copy of this with dmine last night, and I don't think anybody would object to me sharing with the rest, so here's a ZIP of the raw tapes from Quebec:

http://www.4shared.c...oorbell_QC.html

I could swear ThoughtPhreaker posted these previously, but I guess not. Well, wherever I got them from, they're here now. Enjoy.

#7 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for sending to me. I'll ask Evan if it's OK to post them on my site. If he says it's OK, then I'll do so.

#8 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

I could swear ThoughtPhreaker posted these previously, but I guess not.

Nope. I did find an unedited copy of ZZZZZZ recordings sitting on the Groupbell FTP some years ago, though. If you'd like it, I can upload it somewhere.

#9 Digital_Avatar

Digital_Avatar

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

I could swear ThoughtPhreaker posted these previously, but I guess not.

Nope. I did find an unedited copy of ZZZZZZ recordings sitting on the Groupbell FTP some years ago, though. If you'd like it, I can upload it somewhere.

Hah. Yeah, go ahead and throw it up on 4shared or something.

Here's hoping Evan gets a chance to get back to narrating some more of that old time phone goodness.

#10 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

http://thoughtphreak...zzz-side-1.flac

http://bit.ly/10GjX2H (mp3 version)

http://thoughtphreak...zzz-side-1.g722

Here's hoping Evan gets a chance to get back to narrating some more of that old time phone goodness.

I'll second that :)

EDIT: IPBB has a nasty habit of imposing an embedded flash player on anyone who posts an mp3 link, a shortened URL has been put in it's place.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 26 April 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#11 rjp

rjp

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Glad to see there's some new material - I've checked the old Phone Trips site now and then and haven't seen anything new on there in ages. I was starting to get worried.

#12 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

I need to post some more "raw tapes" from Quebec. I have them, just need to post them.

Edit: They're now posted along with all the other new ones.

Edited by dmine45, 04 September 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#13 phreeman

phreeman

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

I've been working with Evan Doorbell to release some more of his raw (unnarrated) tapes.

He has released 8 tapes so far. They are from New York City and Long Island, NY.

I'm posting them here:

http://www.phworld.org/evandoorbell/

I hope to get more from him soon.

Enjoy!

Hey Thanks man, I lost the recordings (except for what I uploaded on yt) but I realized today that the phonetrips ftp is down.. speaking of backing up stuff, I really need to get those 4ess 95969xx recordings, recorded. heh

#14 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Just an update - I've moved the files to a new server:

http://www.evan-doorbell.com

I have over 80 newly posted raw tapes that Evan has provided me. Enjoy!

#15 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

I'm glad Evan got around to posting some of his later stuff, it's like a parallel universe to hear modern switches in them. About nine minutes into 0803Z part two (geez, that's a mouthful!), you can hear a DMS-200 handle an ANI fail from an NX-1.

#16 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Even his NYC tapes had some old with some of the new. Dialing from a Panel or #1 Crossbar into a #1 ESS was a strange event for a time, until eventually ESS took over.

The 80s were an interesting decade where the old interacted with the new quite a bit. DMS-100 and 5ESS mixed with #5 crossbar and a LOT of step by step! Sadly it's all gone now. :(

#17 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

That explains why the 5E still...somehow supports revertive pulsing O.o . I wonder if we could convince Qwest to provision an RP trunk to the panel at the Seattle museum. There's at least one 5ESS in that CO.

I realize he probably avoided digitals whenever it was convenient, but does he have any more recordings of competitive long distance?

Thanks for putting this up by the way, I was starting to really miss these recordings :) .

#18 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

He told me when he has free time (which for him is not that often anymore) he uploads the WAV and MP3 files to me, then I process them and post them on my site. I checked a couple of days ago and no new ones in the pipeline. I'll check with him in a few weeks to see if he's managed to digitize any more of his old cassettes.

I know he has some reel to reel tapes that he can't digitize since he no longer owns a reel to reel deck. However I do - so I've been asking him to send me the tapes this winter for me to work on.

#19 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

Alrighty, well, no rush!

Here's to hoping you don't have to bake those tapes, though :p

#20 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

I know he has some reel to reel tapes that he can't digitize since he no longer owns a reel to reel deck. However I do - so I've been asking him to send me the tapes this winter for me to work on.

That's unfortunate because the HiFi 914 tape is one of my favorites and I know that it was recorded on open reel.  I hope we can hear those some time soon.

I don't think that many people are interested in reel to reel these days.  I saved an Akai deck from the trash and I haven't found a home for it.  It has a problem that a reliable source told me was a simple fix.  Soon it will be sitting on the shelf at Goodwill instead of the shelf in my basement.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!