Photo
- - - - -

Running small server on phone vs using phone as remote

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jasonmanley87

jasonmanley87

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hello. I'm looking to run a webserver and mail server, so that I don't have google knowing all my business, and because I'm in IT and like messing with some of that stuff as well.

I have a rooted phone (with CM7), where I do not have market and I do not sync with my google account. The only thing I do right now is I have the default email app to view my gmail as I do not currently have a domain name and mail server running.

The thing and why I'm considering doing the server from my phone instead of at home is... I'm quite honestly not home that often, going out and hanging with people much more often instead, and my gaming desires aren't as serious as they used to be. I also don't want to continue paying two bills for internet as I currently do, one for Virgin Mobile phone and one for Comcast home cable internet.

However I will want to sometimes have movies play via HDMI on my 40" 1080p TV. However I hear the best VM phone, the HTC Evo V, only does 720p HDMI video out. Is there a serious difference in quality there if playing on something like a 40" screen?

Also the state of android apps still does not seem all that mature. I am going to try out the botbrew app however, as there seem to be some cool things available thru that.

Has anyone tried dynamic DNS with something like no-ip.com? Is it free and/or reliable?

To summarize, my goals are:
1. Freedom from external cloud services like google. This would require running at minimum an email server.
2. To be able to play already purchased/downloaded movies and/or Android games on my TV at home. I realize I will need to buy a wireless HDMI adapter.
3. To have a good organized music library. Is MOG worth it? I used to use them and liked it, until tons of music got pulled from it. I did some searches of their catalog and some of it came back it looks like...

#2 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hello. I'm looking to run a webserver and mail server, so that I don't have google knowing all my business, and because I'm in IT and like messing with some of that stuff as well.

This is quite the laundry list you have here and most of this you will end up discovering after doing more research elsewhere.

But I want to leave you with one thought: You will constantly be plugged into the wall outlet due to the hard drain you will have running daemons 24/7 if you choose to run your phone as a server.

Additionally, from my use of the mobile data networks, you're sitting behind a NAT of some kind which means you don't have a real world IP nor any way of forwarding real world traffic to your phone without a VPN of some kind. This requires the phone to be constantly running and constantly draining your battery due to radio use. Which means being constantly hooked to a charging device.

Edited by jfalcon, 16 October 2012 - 04:55 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!