• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kidboo

kidboo

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hey all, hope all is well....I'm new to this site and I didn't see this topic posted anywhere but I was wondering if anybody can be so kind as to help me or point me in the right direction....so currently I'm studying Unix Programming..now my background is somewhat limited in the programming field and I'm still quite new so please pardon my ignorance... So I was wondering if anyone can reference any good books or any can give me any advice on the Unix call functions, I have Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Stevens and Rago already since we use it for class..For example our last quiz was we had to write a C++ program and use the Unix calls to have the program read the last 10 lines of some 3 files and the professor didn't want us to use tail call.. If someone can please help it would be must appreciated. Thanks.

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Are you looking for information on POSIX system calls, which would be called from e.g. a C program? Or are you looking for a reference on standard UNIX command line utilities, which might be used in a Bash script?

#3 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

To learn any kind of programming I've found it more useful to just read code than books. Books are good for theory, syntax, and starting out. But, IMO, the best programers write code, not books.

#4 kidboo

kidboo

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Thanks everyone for responding so quick. Sorry not responding sooner but for some reason my account was locked yesterday, but hey it's unlocked now so I'm not complaining lol

@systems_glitch, That's exacity what I am talking about....

@tekio I'm definitely going to do that...

#5 kidboo

kidboo

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

POSIX system calls in C

To learn any kind of programming I've found it more useful to just read code than books. Books are good for theory, syntax, and starting out. But, IMO, the best programers write code, not books.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!