• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chown

chown

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm very new to the hardware/firmware side of things, and I was wondering today -- after playing with the Teensy USB development board -- about how possible it is to flash the firmware on your basic every day USB flash drive.

Does anyone have experience in this area? What kind of microcontrollers do flash drives have?

Because, hell, I can think of a lot of things I'd like to do with cheap programmable USB microcontrollers with built in storage... Replicating the "USB Rubber Ducky" for a start. But I guess everyone would be doing this if it were that easy.

#2 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm very new to the hardware/firmware side of things, and I was wondering today -- after playing with the Teensy USB development board -- about how possible it is to flash the firmware on your basic every day USB flash drive.

Does anyone have experience in this area? What kind of microcontrollers do flash drives have?

Because, hell, I can think of a lot of things I'd like to do with cheap programmable USB microcontrollers with built in storage... Replicating the "USB Rubber Ducky" for a start. But I guess everyone would be doing this if it were that easy.

Can't really say I know anything. However I have noticed that alot of bluetooth dongles are blank slates until the firmware is uploaded to it. Might be a place to find clues.

The fun things we learn while using linux and a cheap rocketfish dongle.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!