• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:31 PM

I accidently installed lilo onto my NT drive (thats why i need it again) and was wondering if there is any way to get rid of it!!! HELP! n00bish 2 linux :help:

#2 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:40 PM

you want to install windows right?! windows will automagically delete lilo and install that shitass piece of fuck called ntloader.

#3 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:09 PM

well, i accidentally already had windows and now installed lilo and want to know how to get rid of lilo :cry:

sorry, but it actually isn't my partition and need to get it back ^_^

#4 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:57 PM

ok...that makes no sense to me at all...
ill say it again, IF you want to install windows, go ahead, if you want linux go ahead. both will rewrite the mbr. you said something about a partition....if you don't want it lost either use knoppix to burn the data to cd/dvd or install on another partition.

#5 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

well, i was using Dmn small linux and i accidentally used ./mkliloboot on the wrong hard drive (/dev/sda1, when it was supposed to be /dev/sde1). i was wondering if there is any way to get rid of lilo in this scenario...

-thanks for the help you have given me though... ;)

#6 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:05 PM

So you are gonna have to get lilo off your winnt disks boot sector? good luck <_<

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:05 PM

OH! ok, so you just want it deleted. ok, well, maybe this'll help??

http://www.binrev.co...ic=4187&hl=lilo

edit: yeah, jedi is right, just reinstall windows, that's your best option.

Edited by hacnslash, 26 January 2004 - 04:06 PM.

#8 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:07 PM

ugh, that is not going to be as easy as it is said, without the install disks im a duck waiting to be shot :(

but thank to you both ^_^

Edited by Y0ungBra1n, 26 January 2004 - 04:07 PM.

#9 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:10 PM

I recently deleted grub from my computer, but only cause I don't need it, I use gentoo all the time, so I backed up my crap on the windows partition to dvd and then got rid of windows (hey, I needed the space) :D

#10 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:11 PM

you did that by [fdisk /mbr] right?

#11 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:21 PM

no, because fdisk /mbr is a dos thing. I didn't really get rid of grub, you have to have a bootloader, but I just deleted the windows entry, and set the time wait to show the grub screen to 0 so that it just loads linux automatically :)

#12 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

i don't know about NT, but with 9x-type windozez, fdisk /mbr was the uber-fixall when you fuxx'd your boot part.

#13 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:51 AM

And you can get bootdisks for every version of windows from http://www.bootdisk.com ; so make sure you have them on hand.

[edit]spelling in the link :P[/edit]

Edited by White_Raven, 27 January 2004 - 02:52 AM.

#14 Tank

Tank

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:28 AM

if its a install of win2k ntfs do not use fdisk/ mbr you'll be screwed and have to install it anyway first try to ghost the win partition or retreve the data that ma be lost

Edited by Tank, 27 January 2004 - 06:29 AM.

#15 vooduHAL

vooduHAL

• 415 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:04 AM

Man you people scare me. I'm never letting any of you touch anything I own. I ever. :) First off, boot up your linux. Once logged in type, lilo -u. What might this do? Remove lilo. Hot damn. Also go ahead and run cfdisk (or fdisk) to make sure your windows partition is still bootable (or make it bootable ) (Remember, you don't have to repartition, just set the bootable flag on the partition, and please don't forget to write). Ok, now that you have that taken care of that, depending on how lilo installed itself it may not have made a backup of your old MBR. That is also simple to fix (If you have your Windows XP disk). (This part may be a little bit off in the file names etc but you shouldn't have any problems finding them, I haven't used windows in years) Insert the CDROM, boot the machine, press any key to boot from the CDROM. Now you will be prompted to Repair or Install. Choose Repair, and choose emergency console (It will say something console, but I think it is emergency console) It will then ask you for the windows installation you are wanting to fix and choose the one you are obviously wanting to fix. Then it will ask for the administrator password at which time you will, guess what .... Enter you administrator password and paste it to binrev.com :) (That was a bit of a joke) Now, once you are at this thing that us pseudo-oldtimers like to call a DOS prompt, type: fixmbr It will give a cute little error message that Microsoft likes to include with all of its products along with this wonderful blue screen I'm so fond of (Microsoft, linux's best sales person). Ok, you are all done. Just restart the machine and with any luck you'll have windows. This has worked for me countless times for users just like yourself on both Windows XP and 2k Pro and server. Good luck. And when in doubt, for god's sake DON'T REINSTALL (Ironic coming from an atheist isn't it?).

#16 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:31 AM

Heh, something tells me you have allot of experience with windows mbr problems; Good info though, for people who still use it.

#17 Elimist

Elimist

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:52 AM

fixmbr?

I seem to remember it beeing like fdisk -mbr or something

#18 vooduHAL

vooduHAL

• 415 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:36 AM

Not in XP/2k. I remember that recovering it in 9x/Me but like I said, it's been a long time, and if you don't believe me, just ask Uncle Bill. http://www.microsoft...cons_fixmbr.asp

#19 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

• 1,239 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:15 PM

I just ended up using fdisk /mbr (before i read vooduhal's post) I guess i just need a bootdisk now ^_^

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!