• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

I'd like to host a VPN server from my mobile device so that my computer can access any network I have my phone connected to through a virtual network adapter. (Why anybody would like to do such a thing you can leave to your imagination, but you're probably wrong.)

Does anybody know of any VPN SERVER software for Android or iOS? Again, I'm looking for the SERVER to be on my mobile device, not the client.

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Still looking for this if anyone's seen anything.

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

If you aren't looking for a strictly prepackaged, don't-have-to-root-it solution, you can probably get OpenVPN server up and running on Android. The client runs well enough!

#4 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

A VPN is gonna difficult to come by for a mobile device. The encryption servicing clients would be pretty demanding.

There are Android apps that will share your WWAN connection via Bluetooth. One of my buddies has one on his Galaxy Tab, and we use it instead of the corporate wifi network to connect to the Internet at work (to avoid filtering software on the companie's proxy).

#5 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

There was a topic on here a couple months ago about a "Poor Man's VPN". In this case I feel like that might benefit you. Basically you set up an SSH server and then use that server as a proxy. Traffic from your computer will be encrypted all the way to the remote SSH server, which in your case would be on your phone. It's less resouce intensive than VPN software and just as secure. The only downside is traffic is only encrypted up the the point where it reaches the SSH server. Here's a picture:

{_Your_Comp_} ==== encrypted traffic ==== {Your Phone} ----- unencrypted traffic ------ {destination}

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!