• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Sorry for the scratchy recording, it was done over three-way to a voicemail. Do you think AT&T is adding new long distance tandems to the network? There's a list of 4ESS tandems that's available on the internet, the last one ever installed was 146T. My guess is this is probably some Sonus contraption, it doesn't fit the same profile as their 5E tandems and newer Genband gear such as the CS1500 and CS2000 are pretty much the same software-wise as DMSes. MG9000 maybe?

Attached File  147T.wav   85.99KB   10 downloads

#2 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Sorry for the scratchy recording, it was done over three-way to a voicemail. Do you think AT&T is adding new long distance tandems to the network? There's a list of 4ESS tandems that's available on the internet, the last one ever installed was 146T. My guess is this is probably some Sonus contraption, it doesn't fit the same profile as their 5E tandems and newer Genband gear such as the CS1500 and CS2000 are pretty much the same software-wise as DMSes. MG9000 maybe?

This is interesting since the last 4ESS was installed in Atlanta, GA in July 1999 with the Network Switch ID of 146-T. As far as I know this is still in service.

For a number of years, AT&T has implemented a series of what I call "edge switches" in the network using 5ESS switches with the format of NPA-xL where the x is either 8 or 9. (I don't know the significance of either)

But this new switch is interesting. I'd like to see how it could be reached via the AT&T network.

Agreeing with ThoughtPhreaker on this one - it's most likely a Genband packet switch. Older end offices (especially the remaining 1AESS switches) are being slowly converted to MG-9000 switches or remotes. It wouldn't surprised me that they're using a Class 4 grade of softswitch here.

Curious if there are any others out there like this.

Edited by dmine45, 28 September 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

So I thought I might give an update to this. I did some research, and it turns out this isn't a Genband or a Sonus switch at all. It's an Alcatel-Lucent N4E. There's very little about this switch available on the internet, but the name pretty much suggests the obvious. Here's what Alcatel-Lucent says about it;

he Alcatel-Lucent N4E (New 4ESS) Solution is the 4E (No. 4 Electronic Switching System) Replacement Solution for AT&T. N4E is based on the Alcatel-Lucent Gateway Platform (7520 MGW, 1310 OMC-P) and the 5400 LCP (Linux Control Platform) and includes other elements such as MRV terminal servers.

Aside from 147T, there's one that replaced 054T and their 5ESS tandem at least a few years back, and there *may* be one near San Antonio.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that as usual, you can hear 054T via the 959 trick using the 612 area code.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 27 May 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#4 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I would have thought that at&t would have used Genband packet switches for long haul tandems, as they've been using them for 1AESS replacements. I didn't even know that AL was even producing packet switches these days, thinking they've sold those off to other companies.

I know that at&t has used more 5ESSes in the long haul network as time has gone on (using trailer codes in the format of NPA-xL, where x is usually 7, 8 or 9).

Good detective work! :)

#5 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

Thanks! I think they have a lot invested in the 4Es, so in places where a replacement is deemed appropriate, they probably want something that works in the same manner to save some headaches. They've gotten a raw end of the deal in PacketLand so far, but Lucent does sell a few of those switches here and there. T-Mobile sends some of their toll-free traffic to one in California, and there's a few obscure CLECs on the west coast who enjoy them. They still sell Alcatel S12s and don't look too anxious to EoL the 5ESS, so it's possible they think there's more money to be made by supporting what's already installed. What with the way the internet is facing such an intense level of scrutiny from governments and media companies these days, they could be right.

Anywho, 541-370-1103 is a recording in that same overexxagerated, southern California-y voice as the digits on the tandem. Maybe that's their stock recording.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 03 June 2013 - 04:37 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!