• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jaguar

Jaguar

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hello there! Just registered an account in attempt the impossible: learning everything ever.

Anyway I read somewhere about telnet being pretty neat, and I wanted to connect via telnet to my buddy's macbook pro while he's bumming around on the couch. But I ran into a problem in that I couldn't connect because port 23 was not open! So I spent about 4 hours searching the web for some information on how to open his port 23 but to no avail. Thusly I am here asking for help with my problem looking like the greenest 21 year old I could possibly be. If I can't figure out a way to do it remotely, I'll probably just do it manually on his system tomorrow.

Hello and thanks!

#2 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

OS X doesn't ship with telnet. Telnet is old and really not used much for system access because it transmits authentication info over the network in clear text.

OS X does ship with ssh. ssh allows remote admin over a "secured channel". But SSH is not enabled by default.

Welcome to the forums!

#3 Jaguar

Jaguar

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

OS X doesn't ship with telnet. Telnet is old and really not used much for system access because it transmits authentication info over the network in clear text.

OS X does ship with ssh. ssh allows remote admin over a "secured channel". But SSH is not enabled by default.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks a lot! Well I did some more research, found out and read about PuTTY and (eventually I'll get some sort of linux OS, but atm still using windows XP) downloaded it.
I had to manually enable remote login to open port 22 on his machine, but now I can connect via ssh!

The only problem now is he won't tell me his password. I'm aware that a bruteforce attack can run a wordlist and eventually find his password, but I'm not really sure how to do this. I'm gonna do some more research into this but any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

#4 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks a lot! Well I did some more research, found out and read about PuTTY and (eventually I'll get some sort of linux OS, but atm still using windows XP) downloaded it.
I had to manually enable remote login to open port 22 on his machine, but now I can connect via ssh!

The only problem now is he won't tell me his password. I'm aware that a bruteforce attack can run a wordlist and eventually find his password, but I'm not really sure how to do this. I'm gonna do some more research into this but any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think you're gonna get too many responses.

I'm just mentioning this to help you ask better questions in the forums. I'm not trying to be a "tattle-tale". Asking flat-out how to break into a computer has been mentioned to be against forum rules.

If you are curious about how dictionary attacks work, that would be a different story. But you mentioned that the knowledge was needed to break into your friend's computer.

#5 Aliasgar Babat

Aliasgar Babat

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Telnet does not work well with MAC computers and it is an old technology. In order to remotely access computers, you can use various remote support services such as logmeinrescue.com, gosupportnow.com etc.

#6 Bit Viper

Bit Viper

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Telnet does not work well with MAC computers and it is an old technology.

TCP is almost as old as telnet, and it still works just fine. :cool:

Telnet does what it was designed to do... no more, no less. There are better ways of accessing remote systems these days, but it still works.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!