• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tweeks

tweeks

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

I have a broken screen on a toshiba laptop i acquired. The system runs fine after checking it on an external monitor. I have two different HP laptops of similar age and wondered if anyone has successfully modded the screen to fit. I have never attempted this and wondered what issues i might run into. Any information or instruction would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Your biggest problem is going to be the electrical interface between the two. Even if they're both LVDS, it seems that every manufacturer uses a different physical connector. It's certainly possible to hack something together, but you may end up having to add extra hardware to convert the signals, which won't be trivial.

There's a good chance that the backlights will have different voltage requirements too. Most laptops keep the backlight inverter in the screen case, so in addition to having the data cable you may have a set of thicker wires that provide power to the inverter. Be careful if the screens use HV tube-style backlights -- they run at hundreds or thousands of volts!

Your best bet is finding a screen from the same model laptop to use, or just using the laptop as a "desktop" with an external monitor. Been there, done that!

#3 tweeks

tweeks

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the info, i have looked up each of the laptops i have for parts besides the toshiba and found that it would be trivial to do this with something other than a toshiba. They seem to make the proprietary changes that you mentioned. I dont wanna harm the circuitry of the laptop o wanna use so im gonna do as you suggested and use it as a desktop for now. I have decided however to make this an onboard pc for my vehicle once i have the money to get the small monitor and wiring harnesses ill need. Thanks for the reply.

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

different screens are a little more difficult, but replacements shouldnt be hard if theres documentation/ can find the part numbers for the screen should be trivial to replace it.

#5 tweeks

tweeks

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

i found that the power lines will be quite a pain to replace, esp for someone who isnt great at soldering

#6 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

i found that the power lines will be quite a pain to replace, esp for someone who isnt great at soldering

yeah but if it was the same model as the screen before the backlight power supply board should have the same socket, least every laptop screen ive seen has sockets, id just be unscrew un plug old one plug in new one and screw it back together :p

#7 tweeks

tweeks

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

yeah but if it was the same model as the screen before the backlight power supply board should have the same socket, least every laptop screen ive seen has sockets, id just be unscrew un plug old one plug in new one and screw it back together :p

yeah i was trying to do an HP screen with a toshiba unit, once i pulled it all out it seems that it would have proven to be much more trouble than its worth.

#8 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

its possible, but too much work unless you're doing it just to do it.

check out laptopscreens.com

thats where I get my screens from

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!