• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

Some of you have been around for a long time now and I know that many of you have written to me privately over the years and told me stories about how BinRev somehow changed your life for the better. I love hearing stories about how some of our users became motivated to go to college and/or get job in IT security or programming telephony. Some people made huge life changes and those stories really make me feel proud that BinRev has done something positive for the community.

Did someone on BinRev help you in some way? This is your thread to thank them and share your success stories with others who may be watching. I hope that when others see your success stories and how this community has helped each other,m that they will be motivated to help someone else in the community as well.

I know that this community has helped me and my absolute best friends on the planet almost ALL came from BinRev in some way, shape, or form. Thank you BinRev!

#2 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

I think I'll be the first one to step up to the plate on this one...

I've been on this board since I was 13 years old, just starting out on this technology trek. I was originally interested in the telephone network more than computers and was always asking silly, simple questions for many of the seasoned veterans that frequented these boards. It was an honor to have them around. Their examples of tenacious, but respectful curiosity made a huge impact on me through out my teenage years and now deeper into adulthood. Though not all my posts have always been relevant, and I'm definitely nothing close to an expert, the sharing of ideas encouraged me and many other members of the community to grow. Binrev took beginners from the center of the platter and sent them spinning far past the outer rim and into new realms of knowledge they could not have achieved alone.

I remember one time in specific when I toasted my dad's 12 drive SCSI machine from work while he was out of town, just playing around, and Stank sent me a copy of a Windows NT4 Install CD all the way from the Southern US so I could get the machine back up and running before my pops skinned me alive! (I still owe you big time for that, man) Plus Binrev and RFA were doing podcasts way before podcasts were cool. I looked forward to the latest radio episodes and listened to them religiously. It was about as close as you could get to your online mentors and friends, except for the rare and well anticipated midnight conference call.

It's examples like those that keep people around to form life long bonds in a community like this. Of course, over time we have, one by one, been assaulted by projects, goals, jobs, and life in general even now to the point where the old stomping grounds don't see much action anymore. This place was my adolescence. I believe it is still a great gathering place for like-minded and inquisitive individuals. It's not a community without contribution. I believe this is still the final refuge for the Gentleman Hacker and Eccentric Explorer.

Thank you, Binrev. Thank you Stankdawg, ic0n, Dual, Droops, Natas, Ntheory, Ohm, jedibebop, and a cast of many, many others. A special thanks and shout out to Phreakblaze, Coder 365, Cr45 Du57, and anyone who took the time to listen to us toddlers trying out our own imitation internet talkshow back when we did Nynex Radio.

Edited by Y0ungBra1n, 05 September 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Yes, binrev has definitely improved my life. I was introduced to the radio show/magazine by a friend in high school, sometime in mid-August 2003. He burned the first /six/ episodes I'd missed to CD for me. Bandwidth was too low out in the country (56K dialup, usually around 33.6K speeds) to listen to the show live, but I'd download them and listen the next day. We put up a Mandrake Linux box in the school's rack at the votech center which, among other things, hosted a FTP dump of the accumulated binrev radio episodes for those of us who didn't have broadband at home. Brought them in on Zip disks initially, and later the 486 laptop I was given (3Com PCMCIA 10baseT NIC, anyone?).

Shortly thereafter, I went off to military school, where the Internet was very restrictive. Good times for hacking, and learning to STFU about anything cool you did -- was ratted out, naturally. It was an all-Novell network running over TCP/IP, which was interesting. Forum/IRC access was next to impossible unless you were willing to use a Telnet CGI proxy to get out (repurposed MUD proxies), but I did manage to pull down binrev episodes through HTTP proxies (which were usually blocked after a few uses).

Eventually I built a cantenna and just grabbed one of the faculty officer's home wifi connection. IIRC, the best place to pick up wireless Internet was from the bathrooms, which ended up being called "warshitting" (I think there's a mention in one of the binrev radio episodes).

Binrev has been a good source of positive encouragement ever since the first radio shows. If not for encouragement from binrev, I probably wouldn't have made the interesting journey from southern Virginia to The Last HOPE...incidentally, with the friend who had introduced me to binrev to start with. Good times, and still generally a positive place.

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

besides supplying a temporary reason d'etre, knowledge was gained. mostly that its not about being the first one to hack the gibson maybe its more from necessity, or circuit bending ect. like.. maybe you make a portable n64. hacking in general isnt such a straight forward beast as just breaking into computer systems, i would say its more related to repurposing, like maybe you turn an old phone into a buttset, wouldn't be the first time, but its something, it serves a purpose, and probably is something the person that originally designed that set never thought it would be used for. i mean in the way olden days, some one though up a use for sticks/wood other than burning maybe they made the first chair, that had to blow someones mind

#5 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

Not just BinRev, but the hacker mentality that BinRev supports has helped me a lot in life. It's also been a great source of pride for me. I was the kid in high school who was just about average at everything. Hacking was something I found that I could excel at, and really get interested in. While you all could have called me out for being a script kiddie, or flamed me for posting something and then editing it 1000 times over, you didn't (I have OCGD, obsessive compulsive grammar disorder). So the weeks went by and now it seems I've been here for over 3 years, funny how time flies. I have nothing but love and respect for the members who frequent these forums, and in the future I hope to do my part in helping support this place.

I like to think that this quotation sums up how I feel about BinRev,

"Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

~Albus Dumbledore

Edited by TheFunk, 10 September 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#6 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

In Binrev I found a community that i can ask the most obscure questions and often get an answer.

Thanks guyz! Dont 404 any time soon :D

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!