• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

No MCI tandem dial tone here either in Crappylink 5ESS-land; just sits there expecting more digits then goes to local time-out:

Yeah, my DMS-100 does that too. Try putting # at the end of the number.

Anyway, does the spelling change when you're on a different kind of switch? The DMS-100 offhook tone always stutters when it starts up :).

#22 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

The DMS100 I grew up on goes straight from dialtone to receiver offhook tone.  There is no stutter.  This is the only switch regardless of type I've used that lacks a recording, and is also the only DMS I've used that does not stutter.

Edited by JmanA9, 01 January 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#23 d3crypt

d3crypt

H4x0r

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Are you calling from a phone run by a certain cable company?

TWC :(

#24 JCSwishMan33

JCSwishMan33

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Twitter:@JCSwishMan33

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

Are you calling from a phone run by a certain cable company?

TWC :(

Yep... My TWC service does the same thing.

#25 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:40 AM

The DMS100 I grew up on goes straight from dialtone to receiver offhook tone.  There is no stutter.  This is the only switch regardless of type I've used that lacks a recording, and is also the only DMS I've used that does not stutter.

I seem to remember your switch has that weird sounding reorder after you get disconnected from a call though, right? You should hear the Portland DMSes sometime, though. They don't even give you an off hook tone, they just dump you straight to silence.

#26 scratchytcarrier

scratchytcarrier

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

Try putting # at the end of the number.

That works.

You should hear the Portland DMSes sometime, though. They don't even give you an off hook tone, they just dump you straight to silence.

Whereas, a bit farther east, the payphones at the Multnomah Falls lodge/restaurant (old GTE/AE fortress-type units) just dump you straight into off-hook signal from the dial tone. No "if you'd like to make a call" recording or anything. I *think* (read: am probably completely wrong) that they are connected on either direct long loops (yikes) or concentrator to the CSLCORXARS0 Nortel RLC, as when I last used a phone in CasLocks about 7-8 years ago it did exactly the same thing.

It's been about as long since I've actually been inside the lodge. Knowing the general attitude of telcos toward payfones these days, even in touristy areas like that, I wouldn't be very surprised if they've all been pulled out by now.

#27 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

I seem to remember your switch has that weird sounding reorder after you get disconnected from a call though, right? You should hear the Portland DMSes sometime, though. They don't even give you an off hook tone, they just dump you straight to silence.

It did the reorder in the second phase of my line's existance.  Originally it played call disconnect tone, then stayed silent.  Phase two played call disconnect tone, then a loud CLUNK, followed by 3 or 4 seconds of silence, then reorder.  If you flashed during that silent interval, you would get a solid reorder tone, and it would stay solid until that interval passed.  Phase three, the current phase, is call disconnect tone, CLUNK, silence.  The other line I have easy access to on that switch goes call disconnect tone, silence.

#28 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

It's been about as long since I've actually been inside the lodge. Knowing the general attitude of telcos toward payfones these days, even in touristy areas like that, I wouldn't be very surprised if they've all been pulled out by now.

I think I know the place you're talking about. Is it near the restaurant, and the gift shop with the Toshiba PBX? I was there around Christmas of 2011, and there was still at least one fortress out there :) . It was cold and this particular phone was near a not particularly good smelling bathroom, so I didn't stick around for too long.

There's something about that particular telco and shitty payphones. A few years before that, I was out at a park a little further out in that neck of the woods - same host switch, different remote. So on my way out, I find this charge-a-call phone mounted to the side of a small, brick building. And, well, there's no two ways about it. You didn't have to walk in there to realize it was one of those bathrooms with no running water. So I got the number, and promptly took off. As it turns out, this phone would actually answer incoming calls with DTMF. I'll have to see if I can find where I put the number for it.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 03 January 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#29 scratchytcarrier

scratchytcarrier

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:39 AM

I think I know the place you're talking about. Is it near the restaurant, and the gift shop with the Toshiba PBX? I was there around Christmas of 2011, and there was still at least one fortress out there. It was cold and this particular phone was near a not particularly good smelling bathroom

Don't know what kind of PBX they have, but this was the fortress upstairs in the restaurant's waiting room, on the other side of the wall to the right of the front desk as you walk in. If the old GTE/Automatic fortress is still downstairs by the bathrooms, then it's the same type as in the restaurant. I think there may have even been another in the waiting room to the left of the doorway as you walk out to leave.

And yeah, though the bathrooms there used to be way worse (hopefully you didn't have to see them for most of the 90s), they still leave a lot to be desired in the way of cleanliness. This may explain why the espresso stand, when it's operating, now does so outside near the snack bar area on the building's east side!

There's something about that particular telco and shitty payphones.

Well I'll tell you, it was once United Telephone turf. That company was once EVERYWHERE in the gorge, from probably Sam Hill's place down to Troutdale. If you can imagine all the horror stories you ever may have read about GTE and U.S. West combined then multiply them by a factor of maybe several hundred thousand, then you'd have a general idea of how life on UnTel was like. (It's really no surprise, then, that in the 80s they were bought out by SPRINT, which subsequently merged with GTE because they were all apparently a match made in heaven.) Shitty telcos and shitty payfones go hand in hand, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were left over from that era.

#30 scratchytcarrier

scratchytcarrier

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:30 AM

Anyway, does the spelling change when you're on a different kind of switch? The DMS-100 offhook tone always stutters when it starts up

I think on my EAX line in Gresham they spelled it the same. Back home in United step-land, they had the ESS tones but the off-hook was a high-pitch sweep tone that went something like "vweeeep vweeeeeep vweeeeeeeeep vweeeeeeeeeeeep vweeeeeeeeeeeeeeep vweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep", increasing in length for about 2 minutes before starting that cycle over again. It would keep doing that indefinitely until you hung the fone up.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!