• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Anyone here in range for the MIT Flea? Basically a flea market for electronics -- it's not limited to ham stuff, so not really a hamfest. Definitely worth checking out if you're close enough to make a day trip of it. There's one this Sunday.

#2 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

I wish. That sounds pretty cool.

Where I live the three accredited universities all have close-out lots where they sell all their out-dated tech stuff pretty cheaply. I've picked up some old Sparc Stations, and other cool stuff. If nothing else, it's fun to go and look at all the stuff. Guaranteed, any true geek will find something that is worth buying, and for a good price.

I never even knew these existed till I saw one featured on the local news one night. I then did some research and sent out a few emails, to find out other schools in the area have these "surplus" lots as well.

Probably not half as cool as the thing at MIT though.

#3 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

Surplus auctions are great. I used to go to the one for the university I attended. They had them every month, and it would fill half of an old K-Mart the college had purchased just for surplus property. Anything and everything you could imagine a large state school having -- other private colleges used to come and buy stuff there!

The MIT Flea just happens to be at MIT though, it's not their surplus (though I wouldn't be surprised if some of their surplus ends up there). It's more like a hamfest but not radio-centric. It ended up being not super-awesome this time, but I did pick up some cool stuff, and finally got a RAM upgrade for my girlfriend's laptop.

There are a lot of vendors who come to every flea, so during the summer months I never have to put orders in for basic hardware hacking supplies, like solder or IC sockets.

#4 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

I've been going to the flea since the mid 1990s when l0pht used to sell all their surplus toys there. Fun times. It's about 100 miles from here. Alas, I was only able to make it once so far this year, earlier in the season, and it's unlikely I'll be able to make it again.

Southern New England has a lot of good 'festers. This October you have NEAR-Fest coming up in Deerfield, NH. It's basically a two-day party where techies sell their excess stuff. Even if I only have $100 in my pocket I can't get out of there without filling the trunk of the car with stuff.

Selling is just as fun. You take your tech that's excess to needs and bring it up. If you're lucky you come home with a lighter load and some cash in hand. If you're really lucky you come home with some different stuff to play with.

Then there was the year at Hosstraders that K(REDACTED) broke his leg falling off a tower just before the 'fester. That Friday night they were driving him around in a garden trailer behind a lawn tractor. He was wearing this Viking Helmet and holding this big-ass beer stein in his hand while screaming GodKnowsWhat in Swedish.

Good times! :smile:

#5 tweeks

tweeks

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

anyone have a good list of some less published fleas like this one ?

#6 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

anyone have a good list of some less published fleas like this one ?

http://web.mit.edu/w...Public/ne-fleas for the New England region.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!