• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

I recently upgraded a PC by installing a 60GB SSD. The problem is, I've had to do a fresh installation on the SSD, because if I'd chosen to go that route, the system image would have been too big for the drive. So now I have 2 drives in the computer (the SSD for speed and the HDD for storage) both of which have Win 7 installed on them. I want to get rid of the Windows installation on the HDD somehow, but at the same time, I need some of the programs that came installed on the PC. For example, the Windows installed on the HDD has the Office Suite installed. I don't have the product key for this, and it would be very inconvenient to try to find. Is there any way I can move everything I need, while also getting rid of the second windows installation?

#2 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

SOLVED:

If you ever find yourself in this situation, here's some helpful advice.

- SSD's really like fresh installs, trust me on this one, save yourself the trouble, and install from scratch.

- If you need to transfer programs from one drive to the other, that require product keys, use Hiren's boot CD. There's a tutorial here explaining what tools are available, and how they work. These tools will save you some time, and a headache or two, especially if you need to transfer something as important as the MS-Office suite or AV software. (Customer: "I NEED NORTON ANTI-VIRUS.")

- Keep in mind that the SSD does not need/should not be defragged. Make sure you check Windows' Disk Defragmenter tool, so that you're positive it's not set to automatically defrag drives at a specific time.

- I decided to just use msconfig to remove the boot option from the hard disk drive, and leave the system files on said drive intact. In this way, you have both a storage area, and a known-good backup OS partition.

#3 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

- Keep in mind that the SSD does not need/should not be defragged. Make sure you check Windows' Disk Defragmenter tool, so that you're positive it's not set to automatically defrag drives at a specific time.

disabling pagefiling on the ssd/ only having pagefiling on the hdd is also a good idea..

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

disabling pagefiling on the ssd/ only having pagefiling on the hdd is also a good idea..

Good point, swapping to disk is likely the biggest source of wear for an OS. Also, I don't know if NTFS supports such a thing, but I turn off atime (access time recording) on my Linux boxes with SSDs to prevent writing data every time you touch a file.

#5 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

Has you seen a big change in speed?

I want one to soon, but am (paranoid?) about there being a higher failure rate with them compared to HDDs.

Edited by Swerve, 25 August 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#6 I8igmac

I8igmac

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

My system boots up in one second (not joking) Metasploit loads in one second aswell compare to other computers might take 20 seconds

Check reviews on the product before you buy

I have 2 identical machines, both with 7 core cpu but one has ssd... Huge performance boost from ss

#7 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Has you seen a big change in speed?

I want one to soon, but am (paranoid?) about there being a higher failure rate with them compared to HDDs.

It's literally like having a new computer. We've been extending the lives of our laptops a year or two with them at work.

#8 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

nah the lifespan should be fine aslong as pagefiling/swap ect is turned off to limmit unneeded writing, but in systems with no hdd also worth noting you need ram, otherwise the no pagefiling/swap could lead to the ssd bottlenecking the crap out of the system, i.e. preload files? no space have to wait for it to finish processing then clear some ram then grab more file. mostly dealing with extracting/compressing, on a modern system somewheres around 2gb per thread is more than enough, that shouldnt need more inless extreme case..

#9 tweeks

tweeks

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

I just built a new system and used an ssd drive instead and its absolutely amazing. Using win7 ultimate for now and i boot in 5 seconds complete, no lie.

#10 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

The PC in question was an older HP that would take almost 2 minutes to boot. Now it boots in 12 seconds, with nothing but the stock hardware, and an added SSD. They really do bring old computers back to life. The person whose computer it was had the office suite by the way, but didn't have the install disks. So I had no product key, that's how I came to hear of Hiren's boot CD.

Now if only some big business or university would donate a quantum computer to TheFunk's, "Research" lab. <cough> Loft used for gaming </cough>

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!