#1 mSparks

mSparks

elite

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Ssooo I just got a new phone.
Logged it into my google account.

And all the wifi networks from my old phone - with passwords appeared in settings.

Normally I wouldn't care about what google does with my data - they provide a shed load of decent services which would cost a small fortune to get anywhere else, and I keep quite a distinct seperation between anything that goes in google, and "me".

But this is fairly scary.

#2 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

And all the wifi networks from my old phone - with passwords appeared in settings.

Normally I wouldn't care about what google does with my data - they provide a shed load of decent services which would cost a small fortune to get anywhere else, and I keep quite a distinct seperation between anything that goes in google, and "me".

Who's your cell service provider?

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

nice.. so now when they use their "street view" cars and map APs they can also log into them and snoop around... or possible provide other android devices some free WiFi from your network....

#4 chown

chown

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Do you know if the MAC addresses of the APs are synchronised as well? Also, I'm not sure about the Android sync, but for Chrome the data (bookmarks, settings, passwords, themes, etc) is encrypted with your password prior to being synchronised, so (ostensibly) Google does not have access to that data. However I suppose they could get access if they really wanted to, since you send them your password every time you log in to a Google service.

#5 mSparks

mSparks

elite

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Do you know if the MAC addresses of the APs are synchronised as well? Also, I'm not sure about the Android sync, but for Chrome the data (bookmarks, settings, passwords, themes, etc) is encrypted with your password prior to being synchronised, so (ostensibly) Google does not have access to that data. However I suppose they could get access if they really wanted to, since you send them your password every time you log in to a Google service.

You make a good point - "theoretically" google should not be able to see them if this is the case.

But still fairly shocking to see, and definitely something that should have an "opt out" feature.
->Do you want to synchronize your wifi access points with google -> Hell f'ing no.

#6 tweeks

tweeks

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

i agree that is quite scary, and now google is trying to get the medical records thing going again :(
i dont want google to have my medical records, or any of my info for that matter.

#7 barcode_

barcode_

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

i agree that is quite scary, and now google is trying to get the medical records thing going again :(
i dont want google to have my medical records, or any of my info for that matter.

scared. :blink:

#8 dconex

dconex

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

#9 dconex

dconex

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hi Thanks for the heads up on this seriously getting out of the cozy feelin with my phonezone

#10 mSparks

mSparks

elite

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

looks like you can disable it in settings - privacy - back up settings.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!