• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Z2A

Dr. Z2A

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

I just had an idea and I wanted to see if anyone else had done this before. Can you remotely control a computer without using a program within the OS (eg VNC)? I'm thinking in terms of repairing a computer, such that you'd be able to do it even in the event of bsods and situations where the OS is knocked out. The only thing I can think of like that might be serial connection, but thats not really how that works from what I (limitedly) understand about it. Any ideas?

#2 wwwd40

wwwd40

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:56 AM

If you are using esxi or some other VM set up, you can connect using vsphere or by connecting to the host os in another way. For sun servers, you may want to look at the LOM port which is effectively a serial connection that allows you to bring the box back up when it's dropped run levels for some reason.

As for BSOD on a windows box.. jeez! Isn't the only thing that will sort that a power cycle? If so, why not install network connected PDU's (apc and others do this, you could probably build your own without too much trouble) and kill the power then bring it back up? Its not going to be a panacea for all faults but would work in the bsod scenario you mentioned.

#3 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Yeah PXE might be your only bet, but you'd have to enable that in the bios of the target computer.

Other than that, a robot who can type and use a mouse that can be controlled over the cellular network might be the only option

EDIT:
Dr. Z2A, is that a brainfuck string as your signature?

Edited by Afterm4th, 12 May 2012 - 12:06 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!