Photo
- - - - -

Touchscreen interfaces, and how they affect programming

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jasonmanley87

jasonmanley87

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

For several decades, the most hackerish way to do things was command line on a keyboard.
Command line interface has many advantages, such as scriptability, and no need to switch your hands back and forth from keyboard to mouse all the time.

However, phones and tablets, none with a physical keyboard, and phones don't have a virtual keyboard large enough to use like an old school keyboard (touch typing), how will programming and other text input get done?

I guess the most obvious solution for right now is to just to use a bluetooth keyboard. However that's not as mobile as the phone itself in all cases.

Will programming become a drag-and-drop thing, like as in Mule Studio? Basically that has started or at least implemented a good chunk of programming by that method. Is that methodology the future?

#2 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

However, phones and tablets, none with a physical keyboard, and phones don't have a virtual keyboard large enough to use like an old school keyboard (touch typing), how will programming and other text input get done?

I guess the most obvious solution for right now is to just to use a bluetooth keyboard. However that's not as mobile as the phone itself in all cases.

There's SSHing into your phone/tablet. This can be very convenient, but defeats the mobility aspect

Will programming become a drag-and-drop thing, like as in Mule Studio? Basically that has started or at least implemented a good chunk of programming by that method. Is that methodology the future?

this is the future: http://www.ted.com/t...brainwaves.html

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!