• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

So, long story short I got a WD 1TB external HDD about 4 months ago. Last night it wasn't being recognized by my box so I tried it on several different computers and had the same results. The HDD lights up and makes a quiet clicking noise (Warranty expired already somehow). My question is does anybody know of a good reliable data recovery company that isn't ridiculously expensive? I've been looking around and there's many places I just want to see if anyone has used one before and had good results. I just got old code and projects on it that I wanna be able to recover. Thanks!

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

These guys do great work for cheap compared to the rest of 'em, but cheap compared to the rest of 'em isn't the same as cheap.

http://www.drivesave...tarecovery.com/

#3 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

These guys do great work for cheap compared to the rest of 'em, but cheap compared to the rest of 'em isn't the same as cheap.

http://www.drivesave...tarecovery.com/

Thank you, I'm gonna look into them right now. Have you ever used them directly by any chance?

Edited by phasma, 16 April 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#4 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Nope, just heard from folks who've used it.

Have you tried sticking the thing in a freezer? Zip it up in a freezer bag full of rice, stick it in the freezer, and try starting it up in the computer as soon as you take it out. Grinding usually means a stuck platter, so it's possible that'd fix it. I've also heard spinning it, so maybe tape it to a paper plate and spin that on the floor really fast (again, freezing it before doing that might help). If you stick it in the freezer, you must use a gallon freezer bag and rice or you risk letting condensation short the electronics (or damage the drive itself).

#5 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

If its ticking its either a crashed read head or a bad power supply.

Try taking it out of the enclosure and hooking it directly up to a sata power supply. If it still ticks then its a crashed read head. There is also the slight chance is a fried or corrupt controller board (or corrupt firmware on the controller board). EIther way, its fucked.

http://www.cbldatarecovery.com/ <- best in the biz. I dont trust anyone else with my clean room data recovery. They do free estimates and they have a no data no charge policy.

I've personally used them a few times. One time they didn't get any solid results, but they shipped the drive back to me with a raw recovery of the jpgs FOR FREE. I was very impressed.

They are very professional.

Edited by Afterm4th, 16 April 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#6 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Clicking can mean a stuck platter too.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!