Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Here's the article

#2 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

The city plans to unveil 32-inch “smart screens” with Internet connections next month inside 250 old phone booths throughout the five boroughs.

And the futuristic screens could eventually replace all of the city’s 12,800 outdoor pay phones, whose franchise contracts with the city expire in October 2014.

It's effecting less than 2% of outdoor phones. However, if it proves widely successful, the big change could occur in 2014, I suppose.

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

I wouldn't expect it to be that popular. Mobile data prices are going down pretty fast, and we've seen stuff like this before. Nortel tried a doohickey like this with a modified Millennium, and back in the Windows 95 era, there was the AT&T Public Payphone 2000. You can still find one at the Phoenix airport, but the very quick obsolescence of those sorts of deployments makes it mostly just good for phone calls.

#4 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

I wouldn't expect it to be that popular. Mobile data prices are going down pretty fast, and we've seen stuff like this before. Nortel tried a doohickey like this with a modified Millennium, and back in the Windows 95 era, there was the AT&T Public Payphone 2000. You can still find one at the Phoenix airport, but the very quick obsolescence of those sorts of deployments makes it mostly just good for phone calls.

can't wait to come across one of these.. would love to see what they plan to do with these..

#5 Andrew

Andrew

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

I don't think I have seen one of those Nortel NetVenue terminals in a very long time, oh and Quortech (they bought the Millennium line from Nortel in 2000) has developed an information/ad display that attaches on the top of the terminals. I just saw some in the Toronto airport a few weeks ago, slipped my mind to take a picture!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!