Photo
- - - - -

Idea: run web/email server from Android phone

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jasonmanley87

jasonmanley87

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hello, I just thought of something really cool. This idea has several parts.

1. Replace stock Android OS with Debian as per these instructions: http://www.cc.gatech...m3/android.html and use CyanogenMod7 as the interface. My phone has already been rooted and runs CM7 right now.

2. Not using the gapps (Google Apps) that I downloaded separately from CM website. Instead set up email server using the no-ip.com free DNS service. Is this doable? Say my email address becoming jason@whatevermyusernameis.no-ip.info is that possible? The goal being here to self-host and not depend on Google services, and have privacy.

A mobile server sounds pretty awesome, has anyone done it before?

Possible caveat, the bottom of the instructions I linked to claims that the hostname keeps changing when you change wireless networks. Would this be an issue for what I'm trying to do? Thank you.

FTR, I use an LG Optimus V with Virgin Mobile service.

Edited by jasonmanley87, 11 April 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

This is as a PoC little gig or for penetration testing, right? Like you're not actually going to use this for anything that expects any real amount of traffic, are you?

To fix the hostname issue, try using DDNS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDNS

Edited by serrath, 11 April 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#3 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

1. Replace stock Android OS with Debian as per these instructions: http://www.cc.gatech...m3/android.html and use CyanogenMod7 as the interface. My phone has already been rooted and runs CM7 right now.

2. Not using the gapps (Google Apps) that I downloaded separately from CM website. Instead set up email server using the no-ip.com free DNS service. Is this doable? Say my email address becoming jason@whatevermyusernameis.no-ip.info is that possible? The goal being here to self-host and not depend on Google services, and have privacy.

Possible caveat, the bottom of the instructions I linked to claims that the hostname keeps changing when you change wireless networks. Would this be an issue for what I'm trying to do? Thank you.

Just to clarify:

So is the idea to create a mobile server using a hacked android phone with debian as the OS?

The purpose of the mobile server is so that you can use other android phones to connect to your hacked android mobile server to download apps. The purpose being so that google cant track what apps you're downloading from the google play site. You will be able to locate your mobile server via dynamic DNS services.

Is this correct? Im not understanding the part with email addresses tho....? Please clarify.

Edited by Afterm4th, 11 April 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#4 jasonmanley87

jasonmanley87

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Just to clarify:

So is the idea to create a mobile server using a hacked android phone with debian as the OS?

The purpose of the mobile server is so that you can use other android phones to connect to your hacked android mobile server to download apps. The purpose being so that google cant track what apps you're downloading from the google play site. You will be able to locate your mobile server via dynamic DNS services.

Is this correct? Im not understanding the part with email addresses tho....? Please clarify.

I'd like to try this...
1. Because it sounds awesome.
2. I'd like to be independent of Google, not have them hosting everything I have.
3. Practice with server administration, as it is crucial to my career.
4. I'm too broke to buy a full-on desktop system plus monthly for wired ISP.
5. Possible file sharing opportunities (if I get a bigger SD card).

#5 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

The project does sound very cool, but im still muddy about the idea. I dont understand what it is exactly you're trying to do.

Is the main goal to be able to install android apps from a server you've made on your cellphone?

#6 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

The project does sound very cool, but im still muddy about the idea. I dont understand what it is exactly you're trying to do.

Is the main goal to be able to install android apps from a server you've made on your cellphone?

He just wants to break free of gmail and all that, not start a blackmarket app store.

#7 jasonmanley87

jasonmanley87

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

He just wants to break free of gmail and all that, not start a blackmarket app store.

Yea. Not really starting my own market. Just a small project really, and I would like to break free from email hosted on other servers. Maybe a small scale file server for my friends, though that's limited as the biggest size SD cards that fit into a phone have 32 GB. While a lot of useful stuff can be kept in that space, it won't be one of those huge 2 TB media servers lol. I suppose there is a way to attach a 1 TB hard drive through micro-USB, but that would be impractical when conflicting with things such as charging, and portability etc.

And seriously, what's NOT awesome and cool about having your own server in your pocket!?

#8 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

And seriously, what's NOT awesome and cool about having your own server in your pocket!?

When the snack wrapper in your pocket blocks the signal and your server goes down.

When you walk in the rain and your server gets wet.

When you're comparing server sizes and you whip yours out.

When your server starts paying $0.25/MB because its data plan ran out.

When your server's goes down because the charger wasn't plugged in all the way.

When your server can't handle any mail because its SDCard is full.

#9 wwwd40

wwwd40

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

When the snack wrapper in your pocket blocks the signal and your server goes down.

When you walk in the rain and your server gets wet.

When you're comparing server sizes and you whip yours out.

When your server starts paying $0.25/MB because its data plan ran out.

When your server's goes down because the charger wasn't plugged in all the way.

When your server can't handle any mail because its SDCard is full.

Not to mention when your server gets rooted and reveals your gps location, phonebook, sms, forwards phone calls from your bank to nigeria and otherwise drops dox

#10 jasonmanley87

jasonmanley87

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yes I'm perfectly aware of the pitfalls, it involves taking care of my phone of course.

But I also found something more streamlined along the lines of the link in the original post:
https://play.google....e=search_result
They have this app on the market do install Debian, and in the description, it explicitly mentions things like Apache, gcc, etc.

#11 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Yes I'm perfectly aware of the pitfalls, it involves taking care of my phone of course.

But I also found something more streamlined along the lines of the link in the original post:
https://play.google....e=search_result
They have this app on the market do install Debian, and in the description, it explicitly mentions things like Apache, gcc, etc.

It actually sounds really cool, I'm just teasing mostly. (You made it kinda easy.) But yeah, I wouldn't recommend that kinda server for anything too important.

#12 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

I think this sounds like an awesome project. I'd like to hear how it goes.

It is called a "proof of concept" people. Stop worrying about the purpose and attacking the usefulness of something. SHUT UP AND HACK for fucks sake!

#13 wwwd40

wwwd40

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

If I asked "And seriously, what's NOT awesome and cool about having your own server in your pocket!?", I'd expect no less than posts highlighting the potential issues.

Here are some links of projects already doing this which might help you jasonmanley87
http://www.xda-devel...ith-paw-server/
http://code.google.com/p/i-jetty/

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!