• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

So i know how to fix this memory leak, but it isnt working. I will allocate 6 gb of free mem and it still tells me out of memory. I posted this on minecraft forums but the people there arent too good with nix stuff so ima copy and past my other thread from there below. Any help is awesome :-)

So i was getting the out of memory error, so i edited how i launch to this,

$ java -Xmx2500M -Xms2500M -jar /home/elliott/minecraft.jar
It worked without sound until i uinstalled a texture pack, now my game crashes on launch or after logging in. Here is what terminal says. If you need full bug report, let me know it is about 90 lines long though.
27 achievements
182 recipes
Setting user: pewster31, 5970587584567392322
Loading: net.java.games.input.LinuxEnvironmentPlugin
Failed to open device (/dev/input/event8): Failed to open device /dev/input/event8 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event7): Failed to open device /dev/input/event7 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event6): Failed to open device /dev/input/event6 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event5): Failed to open device /dev/input/event5 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event4): Failed to open device /dev/input/event4 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event3): Failed to open device /dev/input/event3 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event2): Failed to open device /dev/input/event2 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event1): Failed to open device /dev/input/event1 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event0): Failed to open device /dev/input/event0 (13)

Linux plugin claims to have found 0 controllers

Starting up SoundSystem...
Initializing LWJGL OpenAL
        (The LWJGL binding of OpenAL.  For more information, see http://www.lwjgl.org)
OpenAL initialized.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 20 bytes for C_Heap: ResourceOBJ. Out of swap space?
#
#  Internal Error (allocation.inline.hpp:39), pid=23295, tid=240687984
#  Error: C_Heap: ResourceOBJ
#
# JRE version: 6.0_20-b20
# Java VM: OpenJDK Server VM (19.0-b09 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Derivative: IcedTea6 1.9.13
# Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, package 6b20-1.9.13-0ubuntu1~10.04.1
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /tmp/hs_err_pid23295.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please include
# instructions how to reproduce the bug and visit:
#   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/
#
Aborted
Any pointers are greatly appreciated

Specs:
8 gb of ram
nvida geforce 460 gtx
intel i5 @3.8 ghz
plenty of hdd space and my swap space if 5 gb ( i thought that wouldn't matter but it did say it might be to small)

Thanks in advance. I have full error report if needed.

Edit:
I reinstalled java now and i cant run minecraft with to much mem. It says it cannot rescue enough. I will box all i did below:
elliott@elliott-desktop:/$ free -m
                         total     used    free  shared buffers  cached
Mem:              8057     2090    5966           0             536             849
-/+ buffers/cache:              704        7352
Swap:            4933             0        4933
elliott@elliott-desktop:/$ java -Xmx3000M -Xms2000M -jar /home/elliott/minecraft.jar
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Could not create the Java virtual machine.
Mem:              8057     2082    5974           0             536             849
-/+ buffers/cache:              696        7360
elliott@elliott-desktop:/$

Last i checks 2k plus 3k was less than 5.9k ... o.O

#2 rainwater_stillicide

rainwater_stillicide

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

So i know how to fix this memory leak, but it isnt working. I will allocate 6 gb of free mem and it still tells me out of memory. I posted this on minecraft forums but the people there arent too good with nix stuff so ima copy and past my other thread from there below. Any help is awesome :-)

So i was getting the out of memory error, so i edited how i launch to this,

It worked without sound until i uinstalled a texture pack, now my game crashes on launch or after logging in. Here is what terminal says. If you need full bug report, let me know it is about 90 lines long though.
27 achievements
182 recipes
Setting user: pewster31, 5970587584567392322
Failed to open device (/dev/input/event8): Failed to open device /dev/input/event8 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event7): Failed to open device /dev/input/event7 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event6): Failed to open device /dev/input/event6 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event5): Failed to open device /dev/input/event5 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event4): Failed to open device /dev/input/event4 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event3): Failed to open device /dev/input/event3 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event2): Failed to open device /dev/input/event2 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event1): Failed to open device /dev/input/event1 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event0): Failed to open device /dev/input/event0 (13)

OpenAL initialized.

#
#
# java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 20 bytes for C_Heap: ResourceOBJ. Out of swap space?
#
#  Internal Error (allocation.inline.hpp:39), pid=23295, tid=240687984
#  Error: C_Heap: ResourceOBJ
#
# /tmp/hs_err_pid23295.log
#
#
Aborted
Any pointers are greatly appreciated

Specs:
8 gb of ram
nvida geforce 460 gtx
intel i5 @3.8 ghz
plenty of hdd space and my swap space if 5 gb ( i thought that wouldn't matter but it did say it might be to small)

Thanks in advance. I have full error report if needed.

Edit:
I reinstalled java now and i cant run minecraft with to much mem. It says it cannot rescue enough. I will box all i did below:
Mem:              8057     2090    5966           0             536             849
-/+ buffers/cache:              704        7352
elliott@elliott-desktop:/$ java -Xmx3000M -Xms2000M -jar /home/elliott/minecraft.jar
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Could not create the Java virtual machine.
Mem:              8057     2082    5974           0             536             849
-/+ buffers/cache:              696        7360
elliott@elliott-desktop:/$

Last i checks 2k plus 3k was less than 5.9k ... o.O

I think the reason it's failing in your edit is that you are giving it too much max heap - more than the (32bit, by the looks of it) JVM can offer. Try bringing the -Xmx down to about 2Gb and -Xms to about 500Mb and see if that works.

If dropping the max/min heap sizes you are requesting for the JVM results in OutOfMemoryExceptions getting thrown again you will know that that was the problem.

It might just be that minecraft requires more heap space than is available to a 32bit JVM. (remember: the amount of heap space available to the code running in the JVM is [significantly] smaller than the amount addressable by the OS. Might even be as low as 2Gb on Ubuntu 10.04). Try installing a 64bit JVM (if your OS is 64bit) and giving it more memory again.

#3 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I think the reason it's failing in your edit is that you are giving it too much max heap - more than the (32bit, by the looks of it) JVM can offer. Try bringing the -Xmx down to about 2Gb and -Xms to about 500Mb and see if that works.

If dropping the max/min heap sizes you are requesting for the JVM results in OutOfMemoryExceptions getting thrown again you will know that that was the problem.

It might just be that minecraft requires more heap space than is available to a 32bit JVM. (remember: the amount of heap space available to the code running in the JVM is [significantly] smaller than the amount addressable by the OS. Might even be as low as 2Gb on Ubuntu 10.04). Try installing a 64bit JVM (if your OS is 64bit) and giving it more memory again.

Ok i did what you said. It worked onces i turned down the render distance to medium. Eventually i did get a crash. Here is what i got
$ java -Xmx2048M -Xms500M -jar /home/elliott/minecraft.jar
27 achievements
182 recipes
Setting user: pewster31, 5399248750545670793

OpenAL initialized.

Placed stronghold in INVALID biome at (43, 42)
########## GL ERROR ##########
@ Post render
1285: Out of memory
(((((Right here the above text looped on screen for about 100 loops))))))

#
#
# java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 872400 bytes for Chunk::new. Out of swap space?
#
#  Internal Error (allocation.cpp:272), pid=2155, tid=715901808
#  Error: Chunk::new
#
# /home/elliott/hs_err_pid2155.log
#
#
Aborted

I have a 64 bit processor but i am running 32 bit ubuntu. I guess the only way to install 64 bit java would be in virtual box? Or re installing my os.....?

#4 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:09 AM

Ok i did what you said. It worked onces i turned down the render distance to medium. Eventually i did get a crash. Here is what i got
$ java -Xmx2048M -Xms500M -jar /home/elliott/minecraft.jar
27 achievements
182 recipes
Setting user: pewster31, 5399248750545670793

OpenAL initialized.

Placed stronghold in INVALID biome at (43, 42)
########## GL ERROR ##########
@ Post render
1285: Out of memory
(((((Right here the above text looped on screen for about 100 loops))))))

#
#
# java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 872400 bytes for Chunk::new. Out of swap space?
#
#  Internal Error (allocation.cpp:272), pid=2155, tid=715901808
#  Error: Chunk::new
#
# /home/elliott/hs_err_pid2155.log
#
#
Aborted

I have a 64 bit processor but i am running 32 bit ubuntu. I guess the only way to install 64 bit java would be in virtual box? Or re installing my os.....?

If you don't mind me asking, why do you have x86 bit copy installed on a x64 bit machine? I would just reinstall x64 Ubuntu on the machine and install a x64 bit JVM.
  • 5imp7y likes this

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!