• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NextelFoe

NextelFoe

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Yes, there ARE more hams with licenses, but I am sad there isn't a code requirement anymore. Ya ya, I hear that code is all in the past, but as a nod to our SK roots, at least a code requirement for Extra should be implemented. Minimal if nothing else, maybe 5 wpm? Oh well.
KE9PW

#2 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Yes, there ARE more hams with licenses, but I am sad there isn't a code requirement anymore. Ya ya, I hear that code is all in the past, but as a nod to our SK roots, at least a code requirement for Extra should be implemented. Minimal if nothing else, maybe 5 wpm? Oh well.
KE9PW

As an advanced class licensee (pre-no code extras), I would agree with this in as much as they need to know it to utilize all the band resources available.

If one looks at the existing bandplans, under 30mhz almost 1/2 the available bandwidth is non-voice/image emissions. That's a huge amount of spectrum that people don't utilize because of their own foibles about CW.

Right now we're in the solar max so voice is the big driver. But as the sunspots begin to trail off again, unless you're running a A1 station with multi-KW heaters and huge towers with high gain, CW is the perfect weak signal mode.

#3 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I remember when I got my Novice ticket. I *just* passed the CW test, and was glad to be done with it. Shortly thereafter I got my Technician and was all happy because I could then play around with AX.25 packet radio. CW was pretty much forgotten until I discovered QRP/homebrew stuff not too long ago. Now my rusty CW is being worked on.

Ham radio was a dying hobby because of the CW requirement, and I'm glad they got rid of it. With that said, CW is still a useful thing, especially for KISS homebrew stuff, and I encourage people to learn it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!