• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pippa

pippa

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

So I'm looking into getting either Dish or Direct satellite service, finally, and I'm talking to the companies and it turns out they both want to charge me double, or like two separate agreements, for setting up service at two buildings on the farm that are a little too far apart to run a line between them. Both are residential and belong to only me. So, this is what I'm thinking. I'm sure I can find another receiver dish somewhere and mount it, align it, and run a feed line inside one of the buildings. So what if I got them to set up for two TVs in one building, then I just move the tv and equipment to my second building, hook up, and voila! Quite sure I'm not the first to come up with this one.

So, reason I'm writing in is I believe one of the two companies has a HD-DVR that can control two televisions, and I want to avoid that one because I want both TVs to have their own HD-DVR. Based on what you know about how each company's equipment works, which co, Direct or Dish, would the best to go with considering what I'm trying to do?

Thanks

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Sounds easier to get a Slingbox or a HAVA if both places have internet access.

#3 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

Its pretty "Ghetto", but you could just run a coax all the way down there. I did the same thing a couple of years ago so my friends and i could have TV in our "Drunken cabin". Along with some power line i just ran some ground safe condewit(spelling?) about 8 inches under ground. Took like a day to run the power and tv out there. I would do that cause dish still uses coax to get to their set-top boxes.

#4 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Its pretty "Ghetto", but you could just run a coax all the way down there. I did the same thing a couple of years ago so my friends and i could have TV in our "Drunken cabin". Along with some power line i just ran some ground safe condewit(spelling?) about 8 inches under ground. Took like a day to run the power and tv out there. I would do that cause dish still uses coax to get to their set-top boxes.

conduit.. you would want to run aluminum outdoors and not steel... you also would not want to run power and LV wires in the same conduit.. probably better running it below the frost line if burring (although i do not do buried runs in a city, so not sure if that would be required)

i think that if you go with the multiple satellite antennas then you are probably going to find some way to connect the same dial tone to both boxes

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!