• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bmbm873

bmbm873

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

I have read quite a few online articles talking about loops...
They all tell you how to work them and what they do and so on and a few of them even give you a few test numbers but all this data is so old that I cant use any of it to see a loop first hand

how would I go about finding a loop now days or does anyone have one that they wouldnt mind sharing so I can take a look at it they really seem neat the idea of a confrence lol

and second do they still exist im hoping they do lol thank you all help is extreamly helpful

#2 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Finding a loop is pretty straightforward - about as straightforward as it was twenty years ago. They were abused quite a bit back in the BBS days, so don't count on any of the ones from old text files working. Your best friend in a situation like this is three-way, though - if there's two milliwatts next to each other, try three-waying them in. This is more or less a textbook example, though; you'll find the majority of loops where both sides are a milliwatt or one side is quiet and another is a milliwatt on either Redcom or Lucent switches.

The most common I've found are on DMS-10s. The way those work is slightly differently; One side will be a milliwatt, and another (usually right next to it) will give you a reorder. Once you've got two people on, though, the end result is effectively the same - it'll bridge the two calls together.

Some companies have invested into softswitches. One in particular - the Taqua/Tekelec T7000 (OTZ Telephone in Alaska and Beehive Telephone in Utah are two examples of this) have a rather unique way of implementing a loop - for all we know, this is a kluge the switchmen came up with because there is no loop function. Instead of getting a milliwatt, calling one end of it will give you silence. The other person calls that same number, and you'll be bridged in. So in practice, it's more of a two party conference then an actual loop.

Hope that helps :)

#3 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

At least in old NYNEX territory, they shut the loops off when not being used for their intended purpose. I just tried an old loop pair down there, and the low end still gives you a milliwatt, and the high end gives a silent termination. 9960/9963

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!