14 replies to this topic

#1 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

Hi all,

So far no one has asked my other inquiry, so since then I've thought of another question that is similar and may be more helpful if there is an answer to this then with encryption and keeping an eye on if anyone is monitoring you and if so who they are.

So the question is, is there anyway to securely and or anonymously browse the internet. I'm talking so when people look at records you either appeared to be doing nothing or just being on the sites you are normally or just never being recorded as though you do not exist.

Just an interesting thought, although I doubt it is possible because your ISP records your internet data, the government watches what you do (Although not sure about here in Australia and there resources and capabilities), then you have the browsers that are owned by the big technology companies that record what you browse like Google, then Google and Bing recording your searches and data mining it.

Anyway any information, replies etc. are appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

I'd say tor is your best bet. i2p is ok too.

i tried to reply to your thread on encryption but it gave me an error.

I use truecrypt for full disk encryption when I need it (not often). for messaging I use pidgin with OTR.

#3 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

Might as well explain what happened, and why I've become curious about keeping myself anonymous and keeping an eye on listening IP Addresses etc.

I came across some prohibited material on the internet, which I then begun looking up laws here in Australia and for some reason there is no information about minors and viewing particular prohibited content here. So I emailed and reported this content to stay on the safe side, although I haven't gotten a reply from this government department on laws here and minors viewing this content. So I'm starting to wonder whether they would investigate people asking questions like this via email and if so how would I be able to keep tabs on if they are or aren't. And or how I could almost disappear or keep any information they are going through encrypted and invisible as such.

Made me more paranoid then I already was xD.

#4 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

a) use tor
B) If you dont know if its legal or illegal then stop viewing and ask your lawyer asap

#5 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

a) Been reading up on it and also Tails, almost comes across as though it is riskier to use it then to not. As in it is easier to stay invisible by being visible then by using something that makes you 'invisible' and thus leaves the sign of 'I'm using Tor'. And which it states that on there site it is obvious to your ISP that you are using Tor so seems like you would be a more likely target.

B) If access to a lawyer was possible I would have already done that. Already stopped viewing when I saw it, although I had come across this site in the past and it didn't seem to obviously break any laws. Might as well ask your opinion considering it claims it abides by the U.S.M.C laws, in that people are 'over 18'. Will pm you the name of the site seeing as you are actually answering, no point making it highly obvious to everyone else reading. The other time I came across it nothing happened although there are sites such as 4chan and 7chan that post similar material that is questionable that pops up quite often. I also have to wonder the resources the government/governments have and how thoroughly they investigate things or even care.

Really need to get my mind off this getting me distracted and paranoid, got other things I should be doing.

#6 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

from a packet sniffers point a view, using tor appears as a Mozilla client connecting to an Apache server wrapped in ssl.

Very very common to see this. very difficult to determine if you're using tor.

#7 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

from a packet sniffers point a view, using tor appears as a Mozilla client connecting to an Apache server wrapped in ssl.

Very very common to see this. very difficult to determine if you're using tor.

You're also not guilty of committing any crime by using TOR. So... I wouldn't worry about it even if they were putting your traffic under intense scrutiny.

#8 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Thanks guys for the reply.

Waiting on a reply from two places here that are regarding internet law, one being the ACMA and the other being EFA so hopefully one will get back to me soon.

#9 mSparks

mSparks

elite

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thanks guys for the reply.

Waiting on a reply from two places here that are regarding internet law, one being the ACMA and the other being EFA so hopefully one will get back to me soon.

Totally off topic, but you might like it.

http://www.mithral.c.../manifesto.html

Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers. "Teenager Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"...

Damn kids. They're all alike.

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?

I am a hacker, enter my world...

Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...

Damn underachiever. They're all alike.

I'm in junior high or high school. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I understand it. "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..."

Damn kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. "This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...

Damn kid. Tying up the phone line again. They're all alike...

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

Always a pleasure to share that treasure.

#10 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hate that thing. Friggin' egomaniac hackers really get my goat.

#11 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

LOL Serrath at your comment.

Anyway, yeah I've read the Hackers Manifesto a couple times now. I like it but there are bits I disagree with at times. I will go read it again and highlight the bits I disagree with.

#12 mSparks

mSparks

elite

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hate that thing. Friggin' egomaniac hackers really get my goat.

inferiority complex?

#13 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

No.

#14 mSparks

mSparks

elite

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

No.

My bad,

It didn't need the question mark on the end.

#15 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Haha, I see what you did there.

Edited by serrath, 19 March 2012 - 08:06 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!