• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Im trying to build a pretty custom liquid cooling set up. I have been looking for a guide for atleast a week now and i haven't found any that were comprehensible. I want to make this set up pretty custom and im willing to drop about 500$ to make it nice as possible. Anyone have a guide they could point me too? Or maybe someone could explain how i can go about doing it?

I am looking to have a cpu block and 2 gpu blocks(nvidia geforce gtx 460s sli) and maybe one for my memory if they make it.

Any help is much appreciated, and if you need more info on my system just let me know. Thanks Binrev :-)))

~5imp7y

Specs
2x Nvidia geforce 460 gtx (1 gb each)
8 gb kingston hyper x memory 240-pinn
intel i5
EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard(MOBO Link )
128 gb ssd
1 tb hdd
My case has ALOT of room in it and it has holes pre drilled for liquid cooling.

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

For about $500 you could get a lenovo laptop with better specs. Stick to fan-cooling.

#3 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

lol.. probably gonna need some big radiator(s) as being nvidia prolly talking i dont know 175w+ tdp each? so maybe a single quad 120mm rad.. not sure how one loop would work out but multiple loops would be alot of hoses/ 3 pumps resivours..

#4 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

lol.. probably gonna need some big radiator(s) as being nvidia prolly talking i dont know 175w+ tdp each? so maybe a single quad 120mm rad.. not sure how one loop would work out but multiple loops would be alot of hoses/ 3 pumps resivours..

See I don't know how to assemble all of this. I was looking for blocks today for my cards and they do make them, but if I understand what your saying, I need a pump per block?

#5 billy545455

billy545455

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

okay i recommend that you make a liquid submerged PC with a solid state hard drive. This also may be helpful : http://www.pugetsyst...m/submerged.php

Edited by billy545455, 28 February 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#6 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

okay i recommend that you make a liquid submerged PC with a solid state hard drive. This also may be helpful : http://www.pugetsyst...m/submerged.php

that submerged PC thing looks cool... looks like i have a new project to add to my list when i get around to it...

#7 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

Why didn't I read through this when it was posted I wonder...For some reason I have a feeling I read it as meaning LN2 which I know where to point you too just nothing else...

With liquid cooling though I know lots of purely computer hardware related forums, although they do extend into other forms of computer related topics, anyway asking here:

http://forums.atomic...hp?showforum=57 My usual visiting place besides here. You could also try:

http://forums.bit-te...isplay.php?f=30

http://pcpowerplay.c...-and-Technology

There are some others, but I myself find Atomicmpc to be the best and contains the most helpful people, even if the replies aren't always incredibly fast. They are usually faster then the others though.

Some of the guys in there work for the companies that make the products you buy, and use LN2 though for liquid cooling...So basically they know there shit ha.

#8 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

Why didn't I read through this when it was posted I wonder...For some reason I have a feeling I read it as meaning LN2 which I know where to point you too just nothing else...

With liquid cooling though I know lots of purely computer hardware related forums, although they do extend into other forms of computer related topics, anyway asking here:

http://forums.atomic...hp?showforum=57 My usual visiting place besides here. You could also try:

http://forums.bit-te...isplay.php?f=30

http://pcpowerplay.c...-and-Technology

There are some others, but I myself find Atomicmpc to be the best and contains the most helpful people, even if the replies aren't always incredibly fast. They are usually faster then the others though.

Some of the guys in there work for the companies that make the products you buy, and use LN2 though for liquid cooling...So basically they know there shit ha.

Thank you sir! This is all very helpful. All of you thanks as well.

I am not quite able to afford LQC yet, but soon and it is needed.
Anyone able to tell me what the max safe run temp is on the i5? I have an aftermarket cooler and i will link both the processor and cooler below. I went to intels site, but i dont understand the differnce between tCase and others. For some reason my cpu is idleing at 55+ and hitting almost 90 when in a low res game. This isnt right cause i used to beable to run bf3 in wine without breaking 50. I thought my thermal compund might have decayed, but i dont want to rip the cooler off if it is somthing else. This CPU is stock and not OCd.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115220
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106123

Thanks for the input.

#9 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

thats really hot liek if the fan was dead/massive amount of dust in cooler or something.. probably time for new compound/ some small chance the sensor has gone bad i guess if theres not really hot air coming off the cooler probably not saying the correct temp.. and one pump per loop if long loop can use 2 if you want/ ect.

#10 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

thats really hot liek if the fan was dead/massive amount of dust in cooler or something.. probably time for new compound/ some small chance the sensor has gone bad i guess if theres not really hot air coming off the cooler probably not saying the correct temp.. and one pump per loop if long loop can use 2 if you want/ ect.

I was running some "tests" today and i noticed when i boot into windows 7 i idle at about 40-50 and when booting into fedora i idle at 28-32ish. I think it is reading right, ill try thermal compound.... Not looking forward to taking the cooler off again... it is a pain. Thanks for the input again!
~5imp7y

#11 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Try downloading CoreTemp or CPUz or HWMonitor, sometimes the program you may be using can be rather screwy and give you false temp readings.

Also AtomicMPC would be a great place to ask about top safe temperatures for your CPU, and about your CPU cooler haven't seen that one before or read any reviews/thoughts on it...Interesting...

#12 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

Try downloading CoreTemp or CPUz or HWMonitor, sometimes the program you may be using can be rather screwy and give you false temp readings.

Also AtomicMPC would be a great place to ask about top safe temperatures for your CPU, and about your CPU cooler haven't seen that one before or read any reviews/thoughts on it...Interesting...

Downloaded coretemp and its reading are matching my readout on the mobo. I re did thermal compund today with acrilic silver compund from radio shack.... It got worse. Im afraid to run in windows (fedora/ubuntu both stay below 40 at idle)
ss below:
Attached File  core temp.png   40.58KB   4 downloads

#13 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

hmm anything weird with the cpu usage or anything? mine never is barely any hotter when running windows basically silent unless im playing a game or something.. have you manually felt the temperature when in linux/windows the air should be way hotter coming off of it could be something random with windows not seeing the correct temperature or something else doesnt make much sense it running really hot if there isnt something using alot of cpu utilization/really bad cooling would guess theres something wrong with the readouts as anything above 60 is terrible even worse than stock coolers, thats hot for gpus should thermal trip and shut off chip cant be rated much higher than 70c..

#14 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

hmm anything weird with the cpu usage or anything? mine never is barely any hotter when running windows basically silent unless im playing a game or something.. have you manually felt the temperature when in linux/windows the air should be way hotter coming off of it could be something random with windows not seeing the correct temperature or something else doesnt make much sense it running really hot if there isnt something using alot of cpu utilization/really bad cooling would guess theres something wrong with the readouts as anything above 60 is terrible even worse than stock coolers, thats hot for gpus should thermal trip and shut off chip cant be rated much higher than 70c..

My last attempt before i get in contact with intel. Im getting nice Thermal Compound . I am going to sterilize the contact areas before re applying. I am also going to put a little more compound than i do normally. Also going o spread it with a credit card before i put on the head sync.
It is ok to sterilize the top of the processor and contact point on my heat spreader with rubbing alchohol? I will do it with a quetip and be really really carefull.
Anymore pointers is greatly appreciated!!
~E

#15 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

First off, it doesn't seem you've joined AtomicMPC...=\ Besides that though I know cleaning alchohol is the best thing you can use to clean electronics with. Secondly thermal paste like this is one of the best you can buy, Arctic Silver is known to be one of the best thermal paste makers around.

Secondly considering you don't seem to have joined AtomicMPC and asked around there these same questions just for the sake of it, I myself might ask in there for you and find out the normal temperatures for that CPU and max temps.

Edited by Powermaniac7, 16 March 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#16 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

youd want to wait after steralizing to make sure its dry so nothing funny happens with the chemicals/ its all evaporated so it wont mess with the thermal conductivity when you apply the paste. it shouldnt go to much above like 55c if its stock

#17 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

youd want to wait after steralizing to make sure its dry so nothing funny happens with the chemicals/ its all evaporated so it wont mess with the thermal conductivity when you apply the paste. it shouldnt go to much above like 55c if its stock

Thanks for the help!!!
I re did the thermal compound and was very clean about it. Here id my new screen shot ( i also turned my cpu cooler fan speed up a smidge).
Attached File  temps.png   34.8KB   2 downloads

That good??

#18 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Looks solid! Very nice work! 105's a little high for your max temp, I'd try to set that to 80 or below.

Edited by serrath, 18 March 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#19 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Looks solid! Very nice work! 105's a little high for your max temp, I'd try to set that to 80 or below.

Is that a bios setting? I've never actually chaged it. if it is os based id need to do it in both windows and ubuntu. :-/

#20 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

I assumed it was something from your monitoring tool assuming the tool wasn't installed with your chipset driver. But yeah, there's def. gonna be a BIOS setting for max CPU temp before warning (mobo beep) and shutdown (cold shutdown, not signal to OS), I'd set the shutdown temp no higher than 80C.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!