• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boxerfangg

boxerfangg

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

First off I would like to say I'm am not interested in doing anything malicious. I just want to have a good laugh with my friends and family.

I am interested in how to make a caller id spoofing and an "Evil Operator" set up. Evil Operator is a service offered by prankdial.com that will call two people with the caller ids spoofed to look like each other, then it will just echo what each one says to the other and records.

Now I'm not sure if I can even set this up with the phone service I have. I know it can be done with VoIP but I don't really want to change my set-up yet. I get my phone service through Charter Communications. I have a coaxial cable running through my closet to something that looks like a modem. Then a standard phone line (RJ11 ?) comes out of it and connects to my phone.

That same coaxial cable also runs to my internet modem which I use to connect to the internet. So both internet and phone data go through the same line.

Can I make calls using my computer by somehow connecting this coaxial cable or phone line to my PC and can I use my PC to change the data sent to spoof the caller ID?

Will I have to have another phone line installed to set up "Evil Operator"?

I have no idea of how to go about doing this. I am really just interested because I like to prank my family and I don't like to rely too much on third-party services like prankdial.com or other websites.

Could any one help me set this up or direct me to someone who can?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
In case it matters, I live in the USA.

Edited by boxerfangg, 15 February 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#2 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

First off I would like to say I'm am not interested in doing anything malicious. I just want to have a good laugh with my friends and family.

I am interested in how to make a caller id spoofing and an "Evil Operator" set up. Evil Operator is a service offered by prankdial.com that will call two people with the caller ids spoofed to look like each other, then it will just echo what each one says to the other and records.

Now I'm not sure if I can even set this up with the phone service I have. I know it can be done with VoIP but I don't really want to change my set-up yet. I get my phone service through Charter Communications. I have a coaxial cable running through my closet to something that looks like a modem. Then a standard phone line (RJ11 ?) comes out of it and connects to my phone.

That same coaxial cable also runs to my internet modem which I use to connect to the internet. So both internet and phone data go through the same line.

Can I make calls using my computer by somehow connecting this coaxial cable or phone line to my PC and can I use my PC to change the data sent to spoof the caller ID?

Will I have to have another phone line installed to set up "Evil Operator"?

I have no idea of how to go about doing this. I am really just interested because I like to prank my family and I don't like to rely too much on third-party services like prankdial.com or other websites.

Could any one help me set this up or direct me to someone who can?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
In case it matters, I live in the USA.

doubtful that your provider allows you to spoof your caller ID... perhaps if you were a business account they might allow you to spoof your outgoing caller ID, but they would probably have to set it at their office, and they would probably only be willing to spoof it to the main business number or the toll free number for the business...

so it looks like you are going to have to find a VoIP provider that will allow you to spoof your outgoing caller ID on the fly... most will not..

EDIT - stuff like this is probably better off on the PLA forum than here =)

Edited by nyphonejacks, 15 February 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#3 boxerfangg

boxerfangg

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

So the caller id information is controlled by the ISP...drats!
I'm not too savvy in the phone world but I know that you can set up your own email server (like Mini Relay) instead of using a provider and spoof emails that way. Essentially becoming your own provider. Is there a way to do this with VoIP or do you have to have a provider?

I find it quite amazing that you can make a call on the internet, PSTN, or cell phones (GPRS ?) and it will go through each separate network or provider and come out fine.

Anyway do you have any VoIP provider suggestions? Do you think Vonage would work?

Thanks. I'll check out PLA.

Edited by boxerfangg, 15 February 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#4 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

http://www.spoofcard.com/

#5 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

You'll probably need to connect with either a poorly-run or unmanaged service. The former is probably less likely to be legit, while the latter requires the knowledge (or will to learn) to do it yourself.

I use Flowroute for my outgoing VoIP connections, and probably 95% of the time they pass the Caller ID you specify. Since I use them for only outbound service, I'd have to be able to set my CID to my inbound DID if I wanted people to be able to return calls based on my CID. It's literally part of a line in my Asterisk config.

#6 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Some service providers offer a feature typically bundled with a POTS line that'll allow you to spoof CPN.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!