n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

So I have a couple questions about setting up a web server
I am running Debian squeeze and Apache2 as the web server
it is serving a simple static page with some HTML and CSS
this is being run on an old dell poweredge 1750 rack server

my first question is does Comcast block port 80 in washington?

second question is how hard is dyndns to setup?

third when someone visits the site page will the they view the same page as the servers localhost page or do i need to dive deeper into apache?

#2 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

i will give what i can... hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to fill in the rest of the blanks..

normally port 80 is blocked on residential internet service.. my provider will unblock port 80 for you and give you a "free domain registration" if you bump up to the higher tier of service

DYNDNS.org no longer has free services.. no-ip.com is an alternative that will provide you with port redirection - i am at a similar stage as you with trying to set up a server on my home internet connection - however i roadblocked when i was able to access my server with my public IP address from within my home, but when i tried from my work PC the page was not found... so i need to dig deeper, i know i had all firewalls off, the PC was actually DMZ and i had port forwarding on, but still could not hit my server from a different connection, even though i was able to access it with my public IP address locally...

#3 Gregimbal

Gregimbal

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

I understand DYNDNS no longer has a free service and its still quite a good deal for $30 a year but I may have found a better way pagekite
if you listen to the episode on Hacker Public radio called pagekite it talks about getting data via ssl so your isp cannot deal with it seems like they have a different pricing model but depending on what you are doing this could be another option also if you want to run a server easily for free check out amazon's ec2 free tier on small linux and windows vm free for a year with a couple other perks

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!