• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alk3

Alk3

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Is there software that will use speech recognition to open a word document or text file and convert the text into an audio mp3 (or similar format)?

What I am trying to do:
Write notes while studying school course work
Create an audio file that contains those notes
Listen to my notes on the road while I drive.

I know there is probably something on the web about this but I just cannot seem to find it. I see that google translate has a way to create an audio file, but it seems that I would have to program an application to use the google text to speech api. Now I could possibly do this, but I am trying to find out if there is an easy way for someone else who is not tech savvy to do this.

Edited by Alk3, 25 January 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#2 phaedrus

phaedrus

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Is there software that will use speech recognition to open a word document or text file and convert the text into an audio mp3 (or similar format)?

What I am trying to do:
Write notes while studying school course work
Create an audio file that contains those notes
Listen to my notes on the road while I drive.

I know there is probably something on the web about this but I just cannot seem to find it. I see that google translate has a way to create an audio file, but it seems that I would have to program an application to use the google text to speech api. Now I could possibly do this, but I am trying to find out if there is an easy way for someone else who is not tech savvy to do this.

The easy way for me would be to run linux as a os, and use the festival engine for text to speech:-
http://www.xenocafe....peech/index.php
Then write a batch/shellscript to convert all notes left in a certain directory to audio then encode to mp3 beforehand and just copy to in car mp3 player of choice and use its navigation facilities.

Its not as technically brilliant, but it does cover the problem fairly easily. You could get it down to a couple of commands to run the job by hand too.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

i usually use this http://www2.research...eb/tts/demo.php for text to speech ..

i think that there is a limit on how much text you can enter at a time... so you will probably have to do a few files, then you can always merge them...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!