Photo
- - - - -

Installing USB drivers for the ALFA WiFi AWUS036H adapter on BT51

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MonGoWonGo

MonGoWonGo

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hi,

I have used Windows for many years and know my way around the OS. I am new to Linux. I recently installed Backtrack 5.1 Gnome, 32 bit for a dual boot on my Dell laptop. I am trying to install the USB drivers for my ALFA USB WiFi AWUS036H adapter.

I am embarrassed to say how many days I have spent trying to install the drivers. Suffice to say, it has been a humbling experience :(. That having been said, I am determined to succeed.

I went to the ALFA web site and downloaded the Linux Kernal (2.6x) usb drivers (file name: 036H_Linux_26.1040.0820.2010.zip). I unzipped the file to this directory "036H_Linux_26.1040.0820.2010" on my Windows XP machine. I copied the folder to my USB stick and then copied the folder to my BT51 Desktop. This is where the wheels started to fall off :(. I do not know how to proceed.

According to the documentation I found on the Alfa site, I am supposed use the "sudo make" command, then type "sudo make install".

From my BT51 Desktop, I did the following:

root@bt:~/Desktop/036H_Linux_26.1040.0820.2010# sudo make (I hit enter)
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.39.4/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

I would deeply appreciate ANY guidance that would help me successfully install these drivers. Attached is a screen shot of the driver folder directory.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 aredsquare

aredsquare

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

I am a proud owner of that very same ALFA. And I downloaded the version of BT you mentioned. BT5R1-Gnome

I didn't have to install any drivers, Backtrack had the driver for the RTL8187 chipset, and the ALFA pre-installed. I just plugged it in and since then its worked just fine, for pretty much everything.

Try plugging it in after you log in:

airmon-ng and it should just list your device sorta like:

root@bt:~# airmon-ng

Interface Chipset Driver

wlan0 Realtek RTL8187L rtl8187 - [phy0]

Edited by aredsquare, 26 January 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#3 MonGoWonGo

MonGoWonGo

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for your input. I could not get BT to find the device, so I reinstalled the OS and it WORKED!!! Thanks for taking the time and pointing me in the right direction!!!

I am a proud owner of that very same ALFA. And I downloaded the version of BT you mentioned. BT5R1-Gnome

I didn't have to install any drivers, Backtrack had the driver for the RTL8187 chipset, and the ALFA pre-installed. I just plugged it in and since then its worked just fine, for pretty much everything.

Try plugging it in after you log in:

airmon-ng and it should just list your device sorta like:

root@bt:~# airmon-ng

Interface Chipset Driver

wlan0 Realtek RTL8187L rtl8187 - [phy0]

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!