• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Okay so I'm fixing a friend's laptop, the main problem was a virus. I re-installed Vista 32-bit using his product key also ran Windows Updates/drive updates (the whole 9 yards).

The issue I'm having is that his computer will connect to my wireless router but will not access the internet. When I manually assign IP and DNS information it works perfect although when I choose the option to dynamically receive an IP it says "Access: Limited Connectivity". I have researched far and wide, done everything from disabling IPv6 settings to poking around in my router config. There is no Anti-Virus from stopping it nor is their an active firewall present.

If anyone knows some type of solution that would be greatly appreciated and feel free to ask if you need more info on the laptop/network setup. Thank you!

#2 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm guessing you've got this fixed. I'm just adding a suggestion for the people that might find this from a searching the net.

All computers will do this when the DHCP range has been exceeded. I always set the DHCP scope on a router (or other DHCP provider) to accommodate just enough IP addresses for however many machines I expect to be connecting to the network at maximum capacity.

Kind of a silly practice... but it adds another layer of security to keep additional machines to connecting w/o my knowledge at work.

#3 Gregimbal

Gregimbal

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

maybe it is time for him to upgrade to 7 or a linux distro. windows 7 can be pretty cheap if you are or have a child that is a student

#4 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:04 AM

maybe it is time for him to upgrade to 7 or a linux distro. windows 7 can be pretty cheap if you are or have a child that is a student

7 is much better.
Also if you haven't figure it out yet. Static ips can be better cause the DHCP setting can cause conflict and assign your ip to another device. This happened when i formatted and i was using an asus router, which reserves IPs for dhcp and when i turn the computer back on there was some sort of confusion and i got the same error. after setting it static, problem disappeared.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!