• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

I've got my own Asterisk box up with confbridge running on an extension, as posted in another thread. My DID is through did4sale, so I've got 20 inbound channels (and it looks like the TWC Internet connection will probably hold up too). If that's more convenient it can be used for a binrev conf. Also there's a milliwatt extension local to the box :D

#22 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

I have a full 23+1 PRI over real T1, that my consulting company used to use. It's currently sitting idle, and I have a cancellation order scheduled for mid this week.

It's real TDM, copper directly to the Verizon Switch, with a Sangoma T1 card, dedicated Ubuntu/Asterisk server with an 8-hour APC UPS attached.

It is capable of being a voice bridge of the highest quality.

The problem is that it costs about $700/month for the PRI circuit alone.

I was planning on cancelling it, but, if some people were willing to make donations to (help) cover the bill, I would consider turning it into a private voice bridge.

I know that a lot of VoIP solutions exist to do this on the cheap, but with real PRI the quality is perfect.

Do you think members of the hacker/phreak community would be willing to donate to keep a super-high-quality bridge running? (Anonymous Bitcoin would be accepted)

Edited by Michael R. Wally, 24 September 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#23 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Wow, that would be pretty amazing to keep a confbridge on! If there's enough community support for it, I'd be willing to donate.

#24 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

Likewise. We've got plenty of conferences, but if we can get a following going on this bridge, I'll be willing to donate :) .

#25 Michael R. Wally

Michael R. Wally

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

I've decided to abandon the idea of hosting a voice bridge on real copper. The costs are just too excessive. I do not reasonably expect people to donate over $20/day for the use of a bridge, when much cheaper (or free) alternatives exist.

While true TDM over copper is superior to current VoIP offerings, as VoIP technology continues to progress, this will not always be the case. Imagine a 128kbps bridge? That would be sweet!

Anyhow, I am proceeding with the PRI cancellation.

My company ( https://www.telephonyresearch.com/ ) may still sponsor a voice bridge in the future, but it will almost certainly use VoIP as a transport, due to the vast cost savings. I will post on this forum if we decide to proceed with the project.

Thank you all for your support.

#26 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

That's why I've offered my confbridge up for use...it costs me less than $10/month to have 20 incoming channels on a single DID. The limiting factor there is our Internet connection's bandwidth.

#27 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

I've decided to abandon the idea of hosting a voice bridge on real copper. The costs are just too excessive.

$700 sounds a little steep even for a whole T1. Did you try and get a quote from any of the local CLECs? They've got a pretty big presence now, even towns with under 10,000 people have a few CLECs. I can think of seven off the top of my head locally. If you mention you're using it for lots of inbound minutes, they might quote you for a little less.

Anyway, I'm a little puzzled why people don't just use the confs we have already. I've given out at least two high capacity bridges in this thread alone. I'd be surprised if they have anything besides copper running between them and the switch. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of us physically owning the bridge, but if you're shelling out $700 or even $20/mo for it, I'd think of something unique. Bell's Mind, for example, had Evan Doorbell recordings and an ANAC.

#28 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of us physically owning the bridge, but if you're shelling out $700 or even $20/mo for it, I'd think of something unique. Bell's Mind, for example, had Evan Doorbell recordings and an ANAC.

My PBX also serves my home and work telephones, voicemail, and as a general sandbox for playing with Asterisk. The mobile devices I usually carry also connects to it through SIP over an OpenVPN link, so they serve in the capacity of a cell phone (I don't have an actual cell phone). It's cheaper than a landline, and it's fun! I figured, why not 20 inbound channels for the price of one?

#29 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

why not 20 inbound channels for the price of one?

I guess that's all relative to what you're using it for. The selective call forwarding/transfer functions on landlines has no channel limit other than what's available to the switch.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 28 September 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#30 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Doublepost.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 28 September 2012 - 12:00 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!