2 replies to this topic

#1 MadHatter

MadHatter

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hello folks,

I recently took on a pretty serious interest in Penetration Testing/Ethical Hacking/Offensive Security because I'm finishing up a Private Investigation certification and I wanted to specialize in pentesting or at least have that ability available to me for whenever it is necessarry in my line of work (assuming such situation is within legal limits of course).

I do know that there are plenty of courses available on-line for this, but the majority of them require at least a basic understanding before you can enroll, and by now I'm sure you've gathered that I'm a complete noob. I did Google search, I've used your forum search here, and I do intend on learning this myself by reading and practicing as much as I can. So, my question to you guys here is: Where do you recommend that I start my learning quest being that I'm basically starting at rock bottom? Are there any specific books or links that you can suggest? and what kind of machine/lab-set up do you recommend I start on?

I will continue to look through the forum and pick up a few things from the posts you already have available and I'd like to apologise in advance for not being able to contribute just yet due to my lack of experience, hopefully I will be able to contribute soon. I can't thank you guys enough for any information you can provide. I really do appreciate it.

*Edit: Sorry, I just realized I accidentally posted this outside of the Nubie HQ.

Edited by MadHatter, 04 January 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#2 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

http://www.securitytube.net/

watch lots

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/

read lots

these are only two resources of many.

#3 MadHatter

MadHatter

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the help.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!