Photo
- - - - -

Anyone here familiar with FiOS coaxial networking?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flarn2006

flarn2006

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

I've tried to sniff Internet traffic from my cable boxes using Wireshark, but my computer doesn't receive the packets whether I use a wired or wireless connection. The cable boxes aren't wireless, so I'm not surprised about that, but they don't provide any options for specifying a proxy or anything like that, nor do they have an Ethernet port (wait, do they? Let me check...nope.) None of my computers have any kind of MoCA adapter either. Does anyone know any way I can configure my FiOS router so it logs traffic from my cable boxes, or forwards it to another IP address? I have an old cable modem from when I used Cox; could I use that for anything? This is something I've been wanting to do for a while. The boxes seem to require an Internet connection in order to use On Demand or the TV guide, and I'm interested in examining that traffic. Anyone know any DNS names they use that I can override on the router?

One thing I'm interested in in particular is port 8082 on the STB. When connected to with HTTP, it gives me a generic HTTP username/password prompt, but I can't seem to figure out what the password is. I tried brute-forcing it once with dictionary words, but the box just crashed.

#2 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

I've tried to sniff Internet traffic from my cable boxes using Wireshark, but my computer doesn't receive the packets whether I use a wired or wireless connection. The cable boxes aren't wireless, so I'm not surprised about that, but they don't provide any options for specifying a proxy or anything like that, nor do they have an Ethernet port (wait, do they? Let me check...nope.) None of my computers have any kind of MoCA adapter either. Does anyone know any way I can configure my FiOS router so it logs traffic from my cable boxes, or forwards it to another IP address? I have an old cable modem from when I used Cox; could I use that for anything? This is something I've been wanting to do for a while. The boxes seem to require an Internet connection in order to use On Demand or the TV guide, and I'm interested in examining that traffic. Anyone know any DNS names they use that I can override on the router?

One thing I'm interested in in particular is port 8082 on the STB. When connected to with HTTP, it gives me a generic HTTP username/password prompt, but I can't seem to figure out what the password is. I tried brute-forcing it once with dictionary words, but the box just crashed.

tried the standard admin/admin and admin/password? i know when i was with verizon a lot of times the password for devices would be password1 (the number 1 added after 'password')

#3 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have very limited experience with this sort of thing, but I am interested as well.

The only thing i've done with cable so far is use coax theif to sniff out other cable modems on my node. Not sure if cable boxes get assigned IP addresses or not tho (usually in the 10.x.x.x range)

What model numbers of cable boxes are we talking about?

#4 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have very limited experience with this sort of thing, but I am interested as well.

The only thing i've done with cable so far is use coax theif to sniff out other cable modems on my node. Not sure if cable boxes get assigned IP addresses or not tho (usually in the 10.x.x.x range)

What model numbers of cable boxes are we talking about?

my cable box gets an IP address... 14.193.86.xxx with a subnet of 255.255.192.0

i can actually ping the IP address of my cable box from my cable modem... scientific atlantic 8300HD and surfboard SBV5120 guess next thing to do is trying to ping the cablebox from a different ISP...

#5 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

i can actually ping the IP address of my cable box from my cable modem... scientific atlantic 8300HD and surfboard SBV5120 guess next thing to do is trying to ping the cablebox from a different ISP...

Interesting.. Must be some weird internal routing as 14.193.86.x shows up in Asia (mostly Japan)

#6 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Interesting.. Must be some weird internal routing as 14.193.86.x shows up in Asia (mostly Japan)

that is why i wanted to try to ping it from a different ISP, because i think it is internal to the cable company.. but then again, i might be pinging something in japan.... i hate rebooting my cable box since it takes forever to reboot, but later on i may ping 14.193.86.x-t and unplug my cable box to see if i am actually pinging the cable box or not..

(got the IP from the diagnostic menu)

#7 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

what happens when you run tracert against the IP?

#8 flarn2006

flarn2006

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

what happens when you run tracert against the IP?

Just the one hop to the server, just like any other device on my network.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!