Photo
- - - - -

Are here anyone who still search for phones in hf?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _ThEcRoW

_ThEcRoW

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hello, i'm a radio enthusiast, as well as a phone phreak, and was wondering if anyone in this board still fires up his/her receiver searching for curious and interesting transmissions from phone links.
From time to tiem, there could be heard still in hf some phone links, but not many as were several years ago.
Of course, if there is anyone trying other bands and satellite, would be interesting to chat here.
Cheers!!!

#2 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hello, i'm a radio enthusiast, as well as a phone phreak, and was wondering if anyone in this board still fires up his/her receiver searching for curious and interesting transmissions from phone links.
From time to tiem, there could be heard still in hf some phone links, but not many as were several years ago.
Of course, if there is anyone trying other bands and satellite, would be interesting to chat here.
Cheers!!!

You mean the old ship to shore calls in single side band the 30 meter shortwave band? Listened to them a lot back in the day, but most of that has gone satellite. AT&T High Seas service used to do it years ago, but that's long gone. (Wiki says they turned it off in 1999)

The only company that's still doing this is called ShipCom LLC. Here's a list of frequencies that they're using now.

http://www.shipcom.c...requencies.html

#3 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Lots of places still using Ritron Telenexus boxes in the UHF business band. (450-470 MHz.), and still some commercial wireless local loop systems in 902-928 MHz. that are regular single-channel FM. Then you have railroads and their phone patch systems.

#4 _ThEcRoW

_ThEcRoW

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Lots of places still using Ritron Telenexus boxes in the UHF business band. (450-470 MHz.), and still some commercial wireless local loop systems in 902-928 MHz. that are regular single-channel FM. Then you have railroads and their phone patch systems.

Thanks for the reply, but i was referring to hf mainly(shortwave). But of course these frecuencies are interesting too, the only thing is that nowadays is less analog cell traffic over here.
Checked the page you linked, dmine45 and was interesting and worth a read.
Thanks!!!

#5 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, but i was referring to hf mainly(shortwave). But of course these frecuencies are interesting too, the only thing is that nowadays is less analog cell traffic over here.
Thanks!!!

You'd probably want to check out forums that are related to SWL (ShortWave Listeners) and Scanner enthusiasts. HF Ship to Shore is still done but like many have mentioned, it's switched to Satellite as it's more reliable and is a direct connection. In some areas, AMPS Mobile service (Analog 800mhz cellphones) are still used because they can cover an area better than Digital signaling (Bering Sea Fishermen have AMPS phones aboard).

I'm not sure where you're located, but I remember when I lived in Alaska, the State owns their own satellite (Aurora aka Satcom C5). There was hardly anything on that particular satellite, some wild feeds for state events, college distance learning, etc... but some transponders contained hundreds of voice phone calls that people could tune into with an SCPC receiver. Chaotic to listen to even with a narrowed receiver and channel hopping but sometimes you could figure it out...

#6 _ThEcRoW

_ThEcRoW

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Thanks!!!

You'd probably want to check out forums that are related to SWL (ShortWave Listeners) and Scanner enthusiasts. HF Ship to Shore is still done but like many have mentioned, it's switched to Satellite as it's more reliable and is a direct connection. In some areas, AMPS Mobile service (Analog 800mhz cellphones) are still used because they can cover an area better than Digital signaling (Bering Sea Fishermen have AMPS phones aboard).

I'm not sure where you're located, but I remember when I lived in Alaska, the State owns their own satellite (Aurora aka Satcom C5). There was hardly anything on that particular satellite, some wild feeds for state events, college distance learning, etc... but some transponders contained hundreds of voice phone calls that people could tune into with an SCPC receiver. Chaotic to listen to even with a narrowed receiver and channel hopping but sometimes you could figure it out...

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the reply. Interesting bit of the SCPC receiver, but at the moment don't have satellite stuff, so i'm mainly with terrestrial comms. I can receive satellites, but in the amateur side. Radio is still an interesting world to explore.
Thanks!!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!