15 replies to this topic

#1 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:46 AM

Hi all,

I have been a member at Astala Vista Forums for a long time but never really visited it, it has updated a lot since I first joined it probably when I was first interested in hacking in general or what I perceived to be hacking.

Well they updated and sent me an email today and I noticed you have to pay to become a 'Premium Member' and you can buy there Security Tool Kit.

Now I haven't thoroughly investigated what being a premium member allows you to do exactly but found it unusual for a hacking based site to have this function. As I have noticed you can become a Financier here at Binary Revolution which gives you the title Financier along with the knowledge of you knowing you helped keep this site running.

I did discover my free account can access the forums with nothing so far being restricted...Wait retract that just discovered a forum section called the Premium Lounge and Special Offers/Discounts.

As I see it if it is holding back knowledge hackers/phreakers can use to learn that is not really right in a way. If it is a product they have worked hard to create such as the Security Scan Tool Kit well that is okay. I'm not sure really but they could if they wish make it cost you just to look at the site.

Anyway I have also noted that seem to encourage the 'cracker' form of hacking which is not something I overly approve of but freedom of speech it is more the breaking the law for the sake of breaking the law that should be watched out for really. I also noticed they do not seem to have any concern over correct grammar, spelling which is fine if that isn't your native language but if you are just being lazy well in someways that is another thing altogether.

Anyway thoughts?

Powermaniac

#2 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

Anyway thoughts?

yeah my thoughts are dont give those idiots any money.

http://packetstormse...vista-pwned.txt

They were owned in 2009 and got rm -rf'd

from this file archived on packet storm you should be able to see that their security was a joke. they were also selling stuff that was freely available (such as the full exploit database of milw0rm)

Here's something one of their admins wanted to do to their site:

We need a girl with who you can ( talk )!!!
Also for the News!
So my suggestion is a girl who read you the news loud if you like!
you can choose between read yourselfe or she read it for you or both!

Go to www.heise.de! There is an example for Voice News! It's a good thing!!!

Have a look on the example girls!!

http://www.yaoti.com...free_yaoti.html

or that

http://www.yellostrom.de/

lame lame lame.

Edited by Afterm4th, 01 December 2011 - 08:48 AM.

#3 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

Ahh I now feel reassured and happier it was only today I bothered to look around there site.

That brings me to the question how secure is Binary Revolution I trust it is quite good but might as well ask.

That also reminds me I have some information to delete then and passwords to change...>.> <.< >.> not that I keep anything important on the net just the accounts have my username therefore people believe it is me...you get the picture.

#4 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

Just read and scrolled through that file...err fail...are they really there passwords some of them look like they are encrypted otherwise they must copy paste them which would be a bitch if you are using another computer...

2009 definitely time to change a couple passwords on a couple sites usually I join trustworthy sites -.- I wa younger when I joined it, stupid stupid stupid.

Was there a username/password list ever realised like lulzsec does...?

#5 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

I was just so worried and realised wait a minute it was 2009 when this happened not one of my accounts I have has been hacked...oh well...change passwords when I'm not on my phone. Not worth worrying about tonight not, like anything will happen that is important anyway.

#6 Emery

Emery

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

@Afterm4th
The fact that your judgement is from some seriously old news, It's a pretty poor verdict.

Back when Bluehell was around, blackhat-forums and astalavista (and some shit that fag romeo) ran
where the biggest forums.

I do agree with you, astalavista is poor forum and always had been, but on the basis it was owned is nothing
most of the big boards have been.

#7 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

Emery: please tell me why astalavista has any credibility at all

#8 phaedrus

phaedrus

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Emery: please tell me why astalavista has any credibility at all

Astalavista used to be one of the places for HPVAC stuff on the net, about 10-12 years ago, at a time when everyone was twitchy about posting that sort of thing they seemed unphased by the law, beyond it almost.
In fact the entire box.sk domain was full of interesting stuff, now I guess they trade on that name alone...
Not saying that they deserve it now, but they were something once...

#9 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

I agree. they were something once. A long time ago. before they had everything deleted.

#10 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

I agree. they were something once. A long time ago. before they had everything deleted.

am i the only one who keeps mis-reading that as altavista? they were a pretty decent search engine before yahoo and google took shit over..

#11 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

am i the only one who keeps mis-reading that as altavista? they were a pretty decent search engine before yahoo and google took shit over..

twas my fav search engine before google. excellent translation and boolean search tools too. Its still available. apparently people still use it.

#12 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Haha yes I remember using the altavista search engine used to use it mainly just to see what different results I would get and always hoping there might be something more relevant and helpful.

It still exists I thought it evaporated basically? Or maybe I just discovered they seem to get the same results now or something. I can't put my finger on why I thought it no longer exists...hmm...

#13 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

Haha yes I remember using the altavista search engine used to use it mainly just to see what different results I would get and always hoping there might be something more relevant and helpful.

It still exists I thought it evaporated basically? Or maybe I just discovered they seem to get the same results now or something. I can't put my finger on why I thought it no longer exists...hmm...

yea, i thought it suffered the same fate as infoseek...

altavista seems to be some how connected with yahoo, as my yahoo sign sign in is up top, and when i click the mail link on top right i get to my yahoo in box..

it appears that infoseek that now redirects to go.com is also powered by yahoo... guess yahoo tried to buy up all of the competition back when search engines started coming out - so how did they lose out to google? guess it is the same story as how facebook came in and took over after myspace paved the way...

so i guess the best business model for the internet would be:
1. wait for someone else to come up with an awesome idea or service
2. let people get bored with their service
3. come in and provide the exact same service but "new"
4. profit

anyone have any ideas that i can steal in about a year or two?

#14 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:58 AM

I KNOW Skype or Flickr or...what else is there Twitter...?

Edit: Can't steal any of my ideas =P all physical objects not data well besides a couple that are data related.

Edited by Powermaniac7, 06 January 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#15 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

steal netflix. charge people 50 cents per movie. Use a rar player and media fire for your content and stream straight from media fire. Very low overhead.

#16 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

steal netflix. charge people 50 cents per movie. Use a rar player and media fire for your content and stream straight from media fire. Very low overhead.

Cool! Then get a 2w bidirectional RF amplifier with a grid antenna with an osculating base, mounted on a high roof. So we can stream it from some other WiFi connection. We'll call it 1337 T.V.

Seriously, I was a member for a month. Back then I did learn a lot in the member's section from reading reports other members wrote on the wargame challenges. There was one with a SMB vuln some guy wrote a custom exploit for, just for the war games. It was really cool. He went and explained the entire hack, as well as source code for the exploit. Not too sure if that section still exists. But I did learn from the wargames. At that time the Astalavista war-games were quite fun.

Not 10/month fun, tho.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!