25 replies to this topic

#21 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

no MFT means no master file table, which means it could not find the partition

take the drive right out of the case and plug it right into a sata port.

try testdisk.

#22 taneal1

taneal1

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

no MFT means no master file table, which means it could not find the partition

take the drive right out of the case and plug it right into a sata port.

try testdisk.

There's no way to get it out of the case, well no easy way...

Attached are the current results for GetDataBack using FAT:

Attached Files

Edited by taneal1, 28 November 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#23 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

the picture you show looks like the scan was not complete, also it looks like you were just scanning for fat file tables... try again with ntfs..

also, whats the model of the drive? you should be able to get it out. get me the model of the drive and ill help you find a taredown

#24 taneal1

taneal1

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

the picture you show looks like the scan was not complete, also it looks like you were just scanning for fat file tables... try again with ntfs..

also, whats the model of the drive? you should be able to get it out. get me the model of the drive and ill help you find a taredown

You are correct -- I only scanned for FAT tables. I'll do a complete run with NTFS, if that's what you think is best, however, I'm ALMOST certain the Explorer DVR uses FAT. The (other) "MY Book" type drives are factory-formatted with NTFS - EXCEPT the AV version which is formatted with FAT 32.

WDC "My Book AV"
P/N: WDBABTOO10HBK-00 1411B
S/N: WCAV5J064876T
R/N: C4CBABCAA

eSATA input
USB 2 input

The MyBook AV is not available at any of my local stores, so I've ordered on online. I'll eventually use it to copy/clone the data from the original drive IF any is available. But first I want to attach it to the Explorer DVDR. If it does not Format the drive, then I'll know for sure if it's a FAT. It may format the drive even if it is FAT, but it's worth a shot. After it's formated and ready to go, I'll attempt to copy the MBR, or whatever it uses, so I'll know what info it requires. Possibly that's where they store the "Code" that prevents the drive from working with a different machine. I'll see if that's true by trying it with a different Explorer DVR.

I wouldn't mind finding a way to transfer the movie files to a different drive so I can edit them, and transfer them to DVDs. IF we can recover them.

I'm committed to working on this drive until we recover the data or prove it's gone forever.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by taneal1, 02 December 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#25 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

You are correct -- I only scanned for FAT tables. I'll do a complete run with NTFS, if that's what you think is best, however, I'm ALMOST certain the Explorer DVR uses FAT. The (other) "MY Book" type drives are factory-formatted with NTFS - EXCEPT the AV version which is formatted with FAT 32.

WDC "My Book AV"

eSATA input
USB 2 input

The MyBook AV is not available at any of my local stores, so I've ordered on online. I'll eventually use it to copy/clone the data from the original drive IF any is available. But first I want to attach it to the Explorer DVDR. If it does not Format the drive, then I'll know for sure if it's a FAT. It may format the drive even if it is FAT, but it's worth a shot. After it's formated and ready to go, I'll attempt to copy the MBR, or whatever it uses, so I'll know what info it requires. Possibly that's where they store the "Code" that prevents the drive from working with a different machine. I'll see if that's true by trying it with a different Explorer DVR.

I wouldn't mind finding a way to transfer the movie files to a different drive so I can edit them, and transfer them to DVDs. IF we can recover them.

I'm committed to working on this drive until we recover the data or prove it's gone forever.

this should help you disassemble it: http://www.instructa...igital-My-Book/

once you have it plugged in directly to a sata port, do a scan with this program: http://thepiratebay....tch-----Unicorn

look for lost volumes.

#26 koncepticon

koncepticon

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

WDC "My Book AV"

eSATA input
USB 2 input

this should help you disassemble it: http://www.instructa...igital-My-Book/

once you have it plugged in directly to a sata port, do a scan with this program: http://thepiratebay....tch-----Unicorn

look for lost volumes.

When you do discovery with GetDataBack, how many tables do you see? FAT would be a very poor format for HD video, even FAT32. Run SpinRite on it, you may have caused mechanical damage when you originally unplugged it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!