Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

http://entertainment...n-all-time-high

#2 bitTwiddler

bitTwiddler

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/11/11/22/1523249/ham-radio-licenses-top-700000-an-all-time-high

That is an interesting article. It was only this Spring that AARL was lamenting the fact that the internet was the cause of people losing interest in ham radio. It would be interesting to see the number they quote as a percentage of the eligible population.

#3 Pan

Pan

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

You'll notice in the comments of that article, someone mentions the fact that it's much easier to meet people all over the world via the internet. In one sense that is true. However, that is directed communication. Though there are some websites that have random connections set up between users (e.g. chat roulette), most communication is mediated. Radio is more instantaneous and random. You don't know who is going to hear you and who you will hear.

#4 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

You'll notice in the comments of that article, someone mentions the fact that it's much easier to meet people all over the world via the internet. In one sense that is true. However, that is directed communication. Though there are some websites that have random connections set up between users (e.g. chat roulette), most communication is mediated. Radio is more instantaneous and random. You don't know who is going to hear you and who you will hear.

damn this thread is making me feel lazy... i have wanted to get into HAM stuff for at least the last 2 years... had a study book.. the CW requirement for anything other than a basic license turned me off at first, but AFAIK it has been removed...

I do not have any way to mount an antenna (live in an apartment)... would I have any chance at DX with a portable? In NYC? seems that there would be too much RF noise to be able to DX from within NYC with a portable.

#5 bitTwiddler

bitTwiddler

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

The down side to getting your license is you will be on yet another government list. In the US the FAA requires your SSN which is bollocks. Call me paranoid ... ;-)

#6 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

I do not have any way to mount an antenna (live in an apartment)... would I have any chance at DX with a portable? In NYC? seems that there would be too much RF noise to be able to DX from within NYC with a portable.

There is a friend of mine and former NYC2600 member from back in the day who has his ham ticket and lives in an apartment up in Spanish Harlem. He runs HF mobile with a SGC SG-2020, and gets out really well with nothing more than 20 watts and an Outbacker whip. When he's done, he unscrews the antenna from his car and takes the radio out. He also runs the antenna out his apartment window with a counterpoise.

Then you have Diana Eng KC2UHB (from MakeZine), who does portable VHF/UHF satellite ops in Manhattan.

Posted Image

That rig is a Yaesu FT-817ND, with a WA5VJB "cheap yagi."

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!