Photo
- - - - -

Old News but How Did That Englishman Hack Into the Pentagon?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

Hey all,

A fair while back now considering the 'crime' was committed in 2002 but a man living in England at the time with autism managed to hack into the pentagon and multiple other US defence networks on his search for any publicly hidden information on aliens. The fact that he supposedly achieved the on a 56k dial-up modem along with knowing how to has always made me wonder with the fact the Pentagon and its infamous title of being so secure. Yes I also think it was rather silly he is now serving a life sentence thanks to committing this crime but he has autism, I know multiple people with autism the fact he could achieve that is amazing and then be jailed for it is just stupid.

Anyway I have a link if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about and wants me to verify what I'm talking about. You can find multiple others if you look it up too.

Linky Link

Thanks Powermaniac

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

http://www.bartleby.com/141/

#3 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

I've heard of hackers being picky about people writing correctly but seriously this picky. It is the internet I may of made some mistakes big deal the internet is full of far worse such as people writing what some people think as abbreviations like btw, ppl, hav, nw, jking.

I live in a country that also uses the English's style of writing so you may also find mistakes that aren't wrong where I come from, so do not ever insult me or try to tell me I need to learn how to write correctly. I expected more from this community but maybe it is just you serrath.

It is not like I am writing a real letter or essay or document that would be published.

#4 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

I believe who you speak of is named solo aka Gary McKinnon. When he spoke to us on his work via IRC he told us he found photos of UFOs on government computers, and the same pictures photoshopped with the UFOs removed.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Gary_McKinnon

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

I believe who you speak of is named solo aka Gary McKinnon. When he spoke to us on his work via IRC he told us he found photos of UFOs on government computers, and the same pictures photoshopped with the UFOs removed.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Gary_McKinnon

according to that wiki article that is linked above

McKinnon is accused of hacking into 97 United States military and NASA computers over a 13-month period between February 2001 and March 2002, using the name 'Solo'.

if that is the case, then this

(until after the UK enacted the Extradition Act 2003, which implemented the 2003 extradition treaty with the US wherein the US did not need to provide contestable evidence

should not be the legal basis to extradite him because his alleged crimes occurred prior to this treaty. if he were to be tried for extradition then it should be based on the laws or treaties that were in effect at the time of his alleged criminal activities.

#6 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

He never actually released any such photos to my knowledge.

#7 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

That is very interesting gives an actual good reason behind why the US so badly wanted to arrest him. They should of realised it wouldn't be very likely many people would believe him anyway which is sad because of people judging others who have mental disabilities.

I have this thought at the back of my head saying I will have people keeping track of my internet browsing now haha. If they have enough people to be watching me then why are they wasting there resources...Goes off on an imaginary argument with myself.

So no one actually knows how he would of hacked the actual network to even get this information? There would of had to of been a internet page connected to there main servers which is kind of stupid, no? Considering that is a maybe secure but still a gateway to there confidential information. For a second there I read over my first post and though I didn't actually ask this question then noticed the title...

@serrath I hope we can continue to get along in the future.

Thanks for the replies so far Powermaniac

#8 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:41 AM

Feds would want to take him down for a high profile breach, if there was anything to what he was saying about UFOs he wouldn't be allowed to say it, now would he? :wink:

#9 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

2001 is alot different in terms of security and infrastructure than 2011. Chances are they had alot more legacy hardware running with legacy networks (X.25).

I don't recall an article about him that states exactly when or how he did it. I would guess that it was even prior to 2000 when AOL still was king.

#10 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

.....So no one actually knows how he would of hacked the actual network to even get this information? There would of had to of been a internet page connected to there main servers which is kind of stupid, no? Considering that is a maybe secure but still a gateway to there confidential information. For a second there I read over my first post and though I didn't actually ask this question then noticed the title...

If I remember correctly, he used brute force and dictionary attacks on publicly facing servers.

jfalcon: I don't believe so1o was a x25 hacker.

serrath: I believe you are correct when you say that the photos were never released. The report of the photo shopped pictures was relayed to me on IRC, I have no way of knowing if it is true.

Edited by Afterm4th, 16 November 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#11 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

since he used a 56K modem i would assume that he dialed directly into these systems and did not access them from the internet... although i could be wrong...

...which is sad because of people judging others who have mental disabilities.

according to the wiki article

In August 2008, McKinnon was diagnosed by three of the world's leading experts (Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, Professor Jeremy Turk and Professor Thomas Bernie) as suffering from an autism spectrum disorder compounded with clinical depression.

so the diagnosis was not done until after he was charged... not to say that he was not suffering from any mental disabilities at the time of his actions, but not knowing him personally i would say he was probably functional enough where people would not see him as someone with mental disabilities - otherwise I am sure that the diagnosis would have been made much earlier in his life. The clinical depression is probably a direct result of the stress related to the charges brought against him and the extradition proceedings...

not sure what i believe in terms of his motives, but i do not think that he had any sinister motives.... but regardless of what he claims he was looking for or doing on those networks - they were "secure" government systems of a friendly nation... so of course the US government is going to try to go after him with whatever they can - he probably would have been safe had he done this from a nation that is not on such favorable terms with the US..

tell you what though.. he had to have some balls.. i do not even like going to .gov websites much really because i do not want them tracking my IP, or whatever...

#12 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

just released today:

http://www.telegraph...in-Britain.html

and

http://packetstormse...-In-The-UK.html

#13 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:52 AM

just released today:

http://www.telegraph...in-Britain.html

and

http://packetstormse...-In-The-UK.html

What unusual timing...

@jfalcon yes I know things are drastically changed since then but I was still curious thanks to the pentagons infamous name as being impenetrable in a sense.

@nyphonejacks you avoid .gov sites entirely, assuming you are in the United States of America I might be also. Seems they have far too many people checking through everything said on the internet other there since 9/11. I would be worried about walking around some of the major cities considering there are cameras everywhere...and thanks to the show Person of Interest which is a possibilty but not yet (a computer calculates the most likely person to die next by capturing expressions and voice tone and things spoken).

#14 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

@nyphonejacks you avoid .gov sites entirely, assuming you are in the United States of America I might be also. Seems they have far too many people checking through everything said on the internet other there since 9/11. I would be worried about walking around some of the major cities considering there are cameras everywhere...and thanks to the show Person of Interest which is a possibilty but not yet (a computer calculates the most likely person to die next by capturing expressions and voice tone and things spoken).

yup... all the cameras here are pretty fucking ridiculous.. NYPD has cameras on many light poles, and the MTA is supposedly installing a very state of the art camera network..

probably time to get an LED hat like this http://www.wikihow.c...r-Video-Cameras

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!