• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

So I've gotten to that point in fandom where I love Linux so much that I actually WANT to spend 50 or so odd work hours customizing my next distro from the ground up. I want something that will be secure, fully stocked in terms of features, and I'd like it to be 64 bit. My computer, although 2 years old now, is by no means a lightweight, and can run just about anything you can imagine, so there are very few limits here. How about it Nix users, which direction should I be pointing this thing?

Per usual, pic related...sorta.
Posted Image

#2 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

After a few PMs, a couple long nights watching tutorials, making comparisons, and a quick game of rock paper scissors, I decided to go with Gentoo.

So far so good. The iso has been burnt to disk and was small enough to fit on a CD. I plan to maintain a record of how things go as the process continues, and ultimately leave a review here for the Binrev members to enjoy. Here goes nothing...

Edited by TheFunk, 22 September 2011 - 01:33 PM.

#3 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:59 AM

well besides gentoo basically being lfs if it weren't for portage, you could always use the minimal install cd, to do your own lfs, example: could grab their stage3 as per usual and chroot in, but instead of grabbing portage just grab whatever programs you want, or sources and compile with the tools from their stage3. though you would be in dependency hell..

#4 phaedrus

phaedrus

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

+1 gentoo. Day1 its horrid while you get your head around the whole USE file directives and portage etc, week 1 its uncomfortable if you need to get stuff done, but by month 1 you have recompiled it so often you have everything how you want it and are playing round with stuff out of sunrise for the hell of it. And don't let compiler speed put anyone off. I run gentoo on a ragtag bunch of fanless atom mini pc's and netbooks dotted about the place. If they can handle it, anything can.

And if the maintainer does something which totally blows donkey's, you can always go in and make a local version of the package and de-tweak any political tweaks (I am looking at you openvpn and the no authuserpass directive, although they've now put that in the USE flags for the package, so I can stop butchering my local mirror of the package now...)
Now if only they hadn't thrown the xbox stuff out for similar reasons. I used to use gentoo on my xbox...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!