• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Walgreen's just scanned my NYS drivers license for a purchase of cigarettes - with out informing me prior to scanning the ID. I would have denied him the right to scan my ID and would have left the store with out making any purchase.

Calling 311 resulted in a long hold time, I guess because there are a ton of fucktards that are calling all scared in anticipation of the stupid fucking hurricane that is supposed to be here tomorrow night. When I finally got someone they said that I had to speak with the DMV about concerns of private companies scanning my drivers license because they are are the agency who issued the ID. The also provided me with a toll free number to file a complaint with pharmacies that I was unable to get through to with my Google Voice number, rang several times then went to a reorder (ANI fail is not working, but is providing a different number than my GV number, so the call should have gone through.)

I ended up filing a complaint with 1-800-WALGREENS. I was told that someone would get back in touch with me in about 2 days, but they just called me back now from possibly a cell phone.. (although it is possible it was a VoIP line or something since the thousand block he called from is associated with a CLEC) http://www.telcodata...47&exchange=856 but all other thousand blocks in that NPA-Nxx are cell providers.

They claim that the ID scan is only used for age verification, and the information is not even stored on their servers at all.

I find his response very difficult to swallow, or believe. If they put the technology in place to scan customers ID cards then why would they not store as much information about the person they are scanning as possible to build a database of customer habits.

The person at the register told me something like "I do not believe in conspiracy theories" when I flipped out at him for scanning my ID with out even informing me that he was going to do so.

So far I have not had a chance to get this to work, but there is software that will decode the information on the back of your license http://www.turbulenc...pe/barcode.html I tried taking a photo of the back of my license from the webcam built into my netbook, as well as attempted to take a photo from my blackberry. Neither would scan, so I might have to pull the all-in-one out of the closet during the hurricane and trying to scan it with that to see what information is available on the bar-code.

#2 Andrew

Andrew

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

So far I have not had a chance to get this to work, but there is software that will decode the information on the back of your license http://www.turbulenc...pe/barcode.html I tried taking a photo of the back of my license from the webcam built into my netbook, as well as attempted to take a photo from my blackberry. Neither would scan, so I might have to pull the all-in-one out of the closet during the hurricane and trying to scan it with that to see what information is available on the bar-code.

I got that toolkit to work on my license here in Newfoundland, Canada. The only clear text information that it could decode was the expiry of the license, not even my birth date which I thought was strange. So there is a good chance that the data on your card is encrypted, but the question is does Walgreen's have the decryption key to view your other information? Did the machine they used look like an actual Walgreen's computer or something from your government?

-Andrew

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

I got that toolkit to work on my license here in Newfoundland, Canada. The only clear text information that it could decode was the expiry of the license, not even my birth date which I thought was strange. So there is a good chance that the data on your card is encrypted, but the question is does Walgreen's have the decryption key to view your other information? Did the machine they used look like an actual Walgreen's computer or something from your government?

-Andrew

regular bar-code scanner with the red laser that they use to scan products... does not mean that the back-end stuff that i can not see is not decrypting it

from what i see on the link i posted above which decodes the bar-code... some places have everything encrypted, others only encrypt some data, while others all of the info is in plain text. Some only provide the info that is printed on the front card, while others include much more info such as social security number, and facial recognition templates..

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

get a little ziploc baggie the license will fit in, and glue some black paper /tin foil to the ziploc over where the bar code is.. This way, you haven't altered the license. you're just making it impossible to scan w/o removing it.. that'll give you time to say HEY, WTF are you doing? when they try to scan it.

Mine has a funky bar code... it's not stripped like a regular UPC.. thick vertical black bars at the ends, a few consistent thin vertical black bars in the middle of the field, and what looks like 'binary snow' everywhere else.

edit:
turns out it's the PDF 417 code?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF417

Edited by PurpleJesus, 29 August 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

get a little ziploc baggie the license will fit in, and glue some black paper /tin foil to the ziploc over where the bar code is.. This way, you haven't altered the license. you're just making it impossible to scan w/o removing it.. that'll give you time to say HEY, WTF are you doing? when they try to scan it.

Mine has a funky bar code... it's not stripped like a regular UPC.. thick vertical black bars at the ends, a few consistent thin vertical black bars in the middle of the field, and what looks like 'binary snow' everywhere else.

edit:
turns out it's the PDF 417 code?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF417

yea thats the kind of code that is on mine as well..

have not had a chance to use a scanner to get a better quality image of my ID to see what is really on there..

#6 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

sounds like barlink
http://www.hackcanad...ch/barlink.html

#7 Infinite51

Infinite51

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

sounds like barlink

Sounds like people that get upset that a store has a minimum charge to use a cc to buy something. Sure you could call up Visa/Mc ect and complain that they are violating the terms and conditions of their agreement. But you would have to be a real fucktard.

#8 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

sounds like barlink

Sounds like people that get upset that a store has a minimum charge to use a cc to buy something. Sure you could call up Visa/Mc ect and complain that they are violating the terms and conditions of their agreement. But you would have to be a real fucktard.

are you reading the same thread? this has nothing to do with merchants requiring a minimum credit card purchase.. it has to do with companies scanning state issued photo ID which can contain much more personal data than what is shown on the front of the card.

this is a privacy issue.

what is being read from these scans?
how long is this information stored?
where is this information transmitted and/or stored?
how is it safeguarded?
is this information being sold?
how is this information being used?

merchants have to pay fees for each credit card transaction, so it only makes sense that they have some sort of minimal purchase price, in fact i usually end up spending more than i normally would when i go into the store for just one or two low price items when i do not have cash for the purchase and need to use a credit or debit card, because i think it is kind of stupid to put an $8 purchase on a credit card, so i shop around for other things that i need or want to add up the bill..

#9 barcode_

barcode_

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

sounds like barlink

are you reading the same thread? this has nothing to do with merchants requiring a minimum credit card purchase.. it has to do with companies scanning state issued photo ID which can contain much more personal data than what is shown on the front of the card.

this is a privacy issue.

how is it safeguarded?

merchants have to pay fees for each credit card transaction, so it only makes sense that they have some sort of minimal purchase price, in fact i usually end up spending more than i normally would when i go into the store for just one or two low price items when i do not have cash for the purchase and need to use a credit or debit card, because i think it is kind of stupid to put an $8 purchase on a credit card, so i shop around for other things that i need or want to add up the bill..

I've heard that All NYC Permits Get A QR Code these days.

#10 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

sounds like barlink

this is a privacy issue.

how is it safeguarded?

I've heard that All NYC Permits Get A QR Code these days.

duane reade tried scanning my DL for cigarette purchase the other day.. but i had already covered the scan-able bar code with white electrical tape where I wrote something along the lines of "I do not authorize this document to be scanned by any private company"

have never had any problems getting into any buildings in Manhattan that security makes a digital scan of the front of the DL

the lady behind the counter didn't seem to care much about my privacy concerns.. i told her that there is no reason for her to scan my ID into the computer and she tried to tell me "it is the law"... with which i replied what law gives you the right to violate my privacy.. whereas she entered some information from the front of my DL into her system.. unfortunately i could not see the screen and can only hope she only was entering the age (for the age restricted purchase) rather than the DL number.. but at 36 years old at what age do these minimum wage workers leave you alone.. seriously my hair is starting to thin and have some visible grey hairs, do you really need my ID?

i tried one of those softwares that supposed to scan your DL and pull the info from it but it did not work, so i do not know what is encoded on the bar code.. also, i do not know the privacy policy that these companies has for what they do with the information once scanned... the cashiers are oblivious to what occurs with that data once scanned, they assume it is only used for age verification and that is it.. but it could easily store all of the information contained on that scannable code..

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!