• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Z2A

Dr. Z2A

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Hey guys, I have a bit of a wacky question. I'm working on a toshiba l645 laptop that won't load the bios settings editor. It had a corrupted hard drive, so I got a new one, but I'm unable to install Windows on it because hard drive is ahead of cd in the boot order. I can boot cd if I remove the hard drive, but of course I can't install with that because it doesn't detect the hard drive when I put it back in. I was thinking that if I could hook up the hard drive externally to another computer and format it with some kind of software that just immediately boots to cd when the hard drive, that might work. I threw around the idea of putting Smart Boot Manager on a hard drive, but I have no idea how I'd go about doing that. Does anyone know how I would do this or have any other ideas for work arounds?

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

First: Try resetting the bios by removing the motherboard battery (if this model has one instead of a capacitor, though if you go searching you could probably short that, too) and/or flashing the BIOS.

Second: "PLoP" Linux should get the trick done. I'm pretty sure you can install it and then swap the drive over and still expect it to work, just take a machine with similar architecture and you'll be good. (Haven't played with it too much.)

#3 phaedrus

phaedrus

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

I have just been through similar and I ended up fdisk'ing the drive blank and removing all the partitions etc in another machine and then booting from a boot cd and running through a live install to drive on it. Usually when the hard disk doesn't even have a boot sector the bios chooses the second device from its list as it recognizes the first device isnt bootable, but the drive is still available at the fdisk level once booted up.
Ive also done similar via dos when making up a dos6.22 partition tacked onto the end of a drive with a o/s that wouldnt boot. dos 6.22 (or freedos) ain't dead, its just very very very stable...

#4 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

f12 will get you to the boot menu on 99.9% of all toshiba laptops

if that doesnt work try this.. do a bit for bit copy of your old hdd if possible. put in the new hdd, make sure the machine is powered off. hold down the zero key (0). Power on the machine. This will boot you into toshibas hidden recovery partition. WOrks on newer toshiba laptops.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!