• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

i want to play around with telnet a little.. but i do not know much about it..anyone familiar, and would not mind pointing me towards some resources...

i am googling around and have logged onto a few telnet servers already that i found from goog searches

one post that i read said i could do IRC thru telnet, but did not provide info on how to do this.. i think this would be an interesting use of telnet, although i am sure there is much more interesting things that i can do with this..

i know it is kind of retro, but i need to try to get back to some command line stuff after using windows for way too long.. i think becoming comfortable around a command line will help me to motivate myself to play with some linux distros

i do not think i have done much on a command line since elementary and junior high school in the 80's..

the telnet stuff so far reminds me of the early 90's bbs days..

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

Spoof some emails, do a little remote admin, connect to devices in your house in ways you're not supposed to... That kinda stuff. Connect to sites with ftp through telnet? I usually try to connect to stuff on any network I'm on via telnet just as a matter of curiosity.

Someone posted this on our forums:
http://www.binrev.co...44538-telehack/
And I thought that was kinda fun.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Spoof some emails, do a little remote admin, connect to devices in your house in ways you're not supposed to... That kinda stuff. Connect to sites with ftp through telnet? I usually try to connect to stuff on any network I'm on via telnet just as a matter of curiosity.

Someone posted this on our forums:
http://www.binrev.co...44538-telehack/
And I thought that was kinda fun.

yea that is what kind of peaked my interest in telnet.. i played around with that for a while and thought it was interesting ..

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

You can often use it to get an idea of what's running on a certain port by telnetting to it, for those times when you don't have NetCat available.

Not really useful as a remote admin tool, except for small things on the local network (print servers, IP phones, et c.) due to the fact that it's completely cleartext. Still, I think Grex still runs a telnet server for shell logins...telnet to grex.org and have fun!

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

thanks for the info.. now i have to check out netcat as well... =)

#6 AlexZ

AlexZ

elite

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

In addition, you can have a look to the IRC protocol in order to understand very well how the client interact with the server and what are the specific commands that you have to lunch to get the information that you want to receive from it! Have a look here, it is explained in a very exhaustive way and you can learn a lot from here!!
If you eventually ask some questions about that we are here!;)

AlexZ

#7 frogbong

frogbong

mad 1337

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:51 AM

try telnetting to towel.blinkenlights.nl, I was impressed by this; must have taken forever to make.

#8 AlexZ

AlexZ

elite

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

try telnetting to towel.blinkenlights.nl, I was impressed by this; must have taken forever to make.

I've tryied it, but there are no advice by the server when you get the connection! Probably I've missed some step or I can't use very well nc, but I think that there is something strange in this site!!:)

#9 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

I've tryied it, but there are no advice by the server when you get the connection! Probably I've missed some step or I can't use very well nc, but I think that there is something strange in this site!!:)

Use a regular telnet client...pretty neat thing, been around for a long time!

#10 phaedrus

phaedrus

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

telnet is just a (cleartext) remote command line shell. From back before we all went to ssh. Ditto for rsh, shell, rcp etc etc.
To get on irc, you'd telnet into a shell, and run ircII, or bitchX or whatever on the box you telnet'ed to as a irc client and control it through the command line session. THen you can start them up inside a screen session, detatch the running session and keep the irc chat alive for as long as the box is up and connected to the net. Half the bots in rooms at one point were just screen'ed up irc clients, but thats days gone by stuff too I think...

Everyone and their dog used it for remote admin because it has very little processing overhead (no encryption, completely plaintext), so low single chip devices could do it without using most of their resources for each packet but its vulnerable to simple packet sniffing to read whats going on inside the tunnel.
Because of the security issues its gone out of fashion but I still know of some big critical networks using it to outside their perimeter. In fact some devices are still coming out the box talking it by default, and requiring it to be explicitly disabled during commisioning, which if the admins haven't got a clue and forget to do...

In short its just a transport mechanism. It depends on what you telnet to, what you get the other end.
Can telnet to windows boxes sometimes too :-
http://windows.micro...Telnet-commands

You're going to be asking about TL1 next. Now thats a real dinosaur from the dawn of telecoms, but STILL in use extensively (but try finding a TL1 expert... ) Have mibs will tinker :D

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!