• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

I am trying to play some files on my ps3, but they are unfortunatly to big for my biggest flash drive(6.3 gb).... I had an idea to create a partition on my external that was 31.9 gb and format it fat32 as opposed to ntsf(the ps3 does not see ntsf formatted devices). Now when i try to move the file over, it says it is to big for the volume. Does it have something to do with the whole 4gb file thing that fat32 has? why does my friends 32 gb flash drive not do that?

Any ideas?

#2 wwwd40

wwwd40

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:59 AM

No idea about your mate's flash drive, but afaik 4gb containers are a limitation of fat32 itself so I'd be surprised if that is the case.

It is a pain in the proverbial that there is not NTFS (or other fs for that matter) support, but I suppose people corrupting their filesystems would bombard Sony's support, plus they dont want to license ntfs (ms proprietary). I've only limited experience with this, but why not use media tomb or similar to stream video files to the ps3 and forget the fat32 limits?

With regard to using fat32 flash drives, if you your file is a large mpg or vob you can use an application to split us the files (GOPchop or mplex or similar)

#3 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

use extended fat, aka, exFAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

#4 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

Probably not supported by PS3.

That file limit is gonna be something you have to work around, there's no hack to get FAT32 to accept files >4GB that I know of (bear in mind it's a PS3). If the files you're trying to play are games (legal copies of course) or movies (legal copies of course) you might consult PS3 forums or in the case of videos try re-encoding at lower quality (probably a bad solution).

It might just be time to invest in a blu-ray burner.

#5 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

That file limit is gonna be something you have to work around, there's no hack to get FAT32 to accept files >4GB that I know of (bear in mind it's a PS3). If the files you're trying to play are games (legal copies of course) or movies (legal copies of course) you might consult PS3 forums or in the case of videos try re-encoding at lower quality (probably a bad solution).

oh yeah, you're right. im wrong. I was thinking xbox.

#6 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Right only fat32 is supported. I was about to play files over my network without problems so that fixes it for the most part. Fairly annoying tho that fat32 can only be on 32gb drives or partitions (or lower) AND you cant put files on it that are larger than 4 gb...... I dont understand or accept it haha.

I dont thing im going to buy a bluray burner only because the blank disks are almost 10 bucks each. Thats WWAAY to much for a broke college student like me haha.

#7 stormaes

stormaes

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Do you have CFW?
because if so then you could just FTP it over. (Remember Ps3s have gigabit)

If you have multiman installed then you might be able to use the built in FTP server on that (I've never had much success).

Alternatively install a 3rd party one.

Like this one here:

http://ps3.dashhacks...-server-v12-355

#8 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Fairly annoying tho that fat32 can only be on 32gb drives or partitions (or lower) AND you cant put files on it that are larger than 4 gb...... I dont understand or accept it haha.

its a problem with the filesystem :p, thats why we arent all using ext2 anymore.. sure had fun with fsck on that heh..

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!