• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 variant3.cpp

variant3.cpp

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

This community has been a great resource for me! I hope someone can help me with this issue. My gear: I have a Dell M1730 laptop, configured to triple boot with Win 7, Ubuntu 10.10, and BackTrack 5 gnome 32-bit. I am using Alfa AWUS036H and Alfa AWUS036NH usb wifi adapters. My GPS is a USGlobalsat BU-353. For the fun of it, I thought I would do some wardriving in my area. I registered with WiGLE.net and saw that my general area looks a bit sparse.
I want to use the BT5 with Kismet, MySQL, GPSD, and GPS Drive 2.10pre4 to log my trips. Kismet and TangoGPS both detect my BU-353 but I can not get GPS Drive to see my gps unit. I have spent several days searching for an answer with no luck.

#2 z3r0m0v3m3nt

z3r0m0v3m3nt

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

This community has been a great resource for me! I hope someone can help me with this issue. My gear: I have a Dell M1730 laptop, configured to triple boot with Win 7, Ubuntu 10.10, and BackTrack 5 gnome 32-bit. I am using Alfa AWUS036H and Alfa AWUS036NH usb wifi adapters. My GPS is a USGlobalsat BU-353. For the fun of it, I thought I would do some wardriving in my area. I registered with WiGLE.net and saw that my general area looks a bit sparse.
I want to use the BT5 with Kismet, MySQL, GPSD, and GPS Drive 2.10pre4 to log my trips. Kismet and TangoGPS both detect my BU-353 but I can not get GPS Drive to see my gps unit. I have spent several days searching for an answer with no luck.

I too have the Alfa AWUS036H along with a generic GPS module. The best thing I could suggest is to use a free program called Inssider http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/ With it you can log your trips, save the GPS data in a format so you can open it up on Google Earth, or upload to Wigle. The GPS maps that you create also color code the nodes (APs) that you log during your trip by encryption type along with their SSIDs. Inssider is available for both Windows >= 7 and Linux. I have always ran Inssider on my 7 box, but just be aware that if you run it on your Ubuntu distro you might have to run it with the sudo command, but wouldn't have to if you're using it on your Backtrack boot, since you're already root. Hope this helps :)

#3 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:55 AM

If you have Android get WiFo Fum. I got it for my iphone before apple banned it from the crAPP store. If your phone has gps it will plot all the wifi networks on Google Maps, then email them to ya.

Simple, clean, and effective. IMO.

P.S. it can still be purchased from a jailbroken iPhone from Cydia.

#4 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

I'll second Tekio's recommendation of WifiFoFum. He suggested that to me a while ago, and honestly it was worth jailbreaking my ipod for that alone.

Also, I don't know if you'll see this anytime soon, but since your previous post, GPS Drive has released a new version of their software. Perhaps updating might improve your chances of having your GPS recognized.

New Version

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!