• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 variant3.cpp

variant3.cpp

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

I was playing with my Linksys "Test Dummy" today. I ran across something that has me puzzled. I was doing a scan with Airodump-ng and I saw another AP with a two part name "my WirelessNet11". I scanned with Kismet as well to see if it would show any differently. The scan did not reveal a special character.
Aireplay-ng returns a syntax error if you try to do a fake-auth to a two part name. And as far as my Linksys setup is concerned, a space is an illegal character. (Yes, I tried to do a fake-auth because I was curious). How did they get their AP to accept a two part name? Or am I just missing something?

#2 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

I was playing with my Linksys "Test Dummy" today. I ran across something that has me puzzled. I was doing a scan with Airodump-ng and I saw another AP with a two part name "my WirelessNet11". I scanned with Kismet as well to see if it would show any differently. The scan did not reveal a special character.
Aireplay-ng returns a syntax error if you try to do a fake-auth to a two part name. And as far as my Linksys setup is concerned, a space is an illegal character. (Yes, I tried to do a fake-auth because I was curious). How did they get their AP to accept a two part name? Or am I just missing something?

all of my SSIDs are multiple words with spaces in between...

#3 variant3.cpp

variant3.cpp

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:41 AM

What type of AP are you using and what type of firmware does it have? Something as simple as adding a space to an AP's name can prevent you from using aireplay-ng on it? Or is there a work around when you encounter this situation? A two part AP name still returns a syntax error when I try to use it with aireplay-ng.

#4 seabass

seabass

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

http://www.aircrack-...tc._in_ap_names

Scroll down near the bottom.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

What type of AP are you using and what type of firmware does it have? Something as simple as adding a space to an AP's name can prevent you from using aireplay-ng on it? Or is there a work around when you encounter this situation? A two part AP name still returns a syntax error when I try to use it with aireplay-ng.

the old netgear that just crashed out on me (too lazy to go look in the drawer for the model number, but it was a super 108 a/b/g router... with stock firmware - SSID was "stealing wifi is illegal"

the netgear WRT54GS with stock firmware (oh how i wanted to put on ddwrt, but it would only handle micro) that i really do not use to log in, i just use it for extra wired ports in the living room - i change the SSID constantly trying to come up with something funny, or offensive always multiple words with spaces

my new netgear netgear n300 wnr2000v3 gives out 2 SSIDs, a main one, and a guest one (that can be isolated from accessing the LAN) put my domain name on the main one, the 2nd SSID I currently only have broadcast as guest, but will probably change it some time - thinking of perhaps setting up my "broken" netgear just to broadcast crazy shit... maybe if i can set it up with a VPN or proxy i might open it up with out security?

http://www.aircrack-...tc._in_ap_names

Scroll down near the bottom.

interesting stuff... sounds like it might be a good idea to add some spaces before and/or after the SSID, and perhaps a ! to make it more difficult for people to crack...

#6 stormaes

stormaes

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Cant you just use the BSSID? Much easier in making sure that you don't get random "invalid char..." errors...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!