• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bardolph

bardolph

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

i have ubuntu 10.4 and tried to install mandriva 10 but after i found i couldnt get to ubuntu from bootloader - so i deleted mandriva and put back ubuntu from a clone : is there a way these two can appear on bootloader and choose between them at start up?

i read something like passing the bootloader stage at mandriva set up and then go at ubuntu and make a grub update - is that ok?

or i should edit the grub config file?

Edited by bardolph, 06 June 2011 - 12:10 AM.

#2 bardolph

bardolph

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

well i installed again mandriva and put grub/lilo in the same partition (sda6 ) so i can boot from ubuntu ( sda2 ) while the grub is on MBR

sda5- ntfs, sda2- ubuntu, sda6- mandriva root, sda7 swap, sda8- home mandriva

then i boot normally from ubuntu and did a grub update so at the menu i see mandriva linux, but when i try to boot i receive kernel panic

Edited by bardolph, 17 June 2011 - 03:26 AM.

#3 bardolph

bardolph

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:29 AM

I have reasons to believe the kernel panic could be from a corrupt dvd iso : i installed mandriva in another hdd and got kernel panic again...
do you people think i should be ok with the grub update from ubuntu?

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

yeah if it boots ubuntu still it should be fine. i was always just lazy and installed the boot loader into the super block and just chainloaded as i never had more than one linux install on same machine at a time so just made it simpiler booting windows or bsd or solaris or w.e. lol. if the grub conf is set up for the right partitions then it sounds like a error with mandriva install like you said..

#5 bardolph

bardolph

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

how do i know whether grub - ubuntu is on super block (that is MBR?)

#6 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

nah super block is inside a partition like if you install debian in only one partition and have the /boot/ in there too.. then you have to make that partition active. if its in the mbr it will be in the first partition on the drive regardless of what operating system or which part the rest of the os is on.

#7 bardolph

bardolph

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

update :
i tried to install again mandriva - so i have this situation on my second hdd

sdb: sdb5-ntfs, sdb2-xubuntu, sdb6-mandriva root, sdb7-swap, sdb8- home mandriva
but the mandriva bootloader was setup on... sda- ntfs windows !
if i want to boot windows i have to choose device list, then boot second drive sdb: there at xubuntu grub fortunately there is a windows entry for the other disk, sda- windows !
if i let the computer boot on its own it boots sda --mandriva which is as said on sdb6!
i know i can repair windows MBR with easyBSD, but is there a way i can sort this mess and get the two linux entries mandriva-xubuntu when i boot from sdb?
without risking ofc

Edited by bardolph, 29 June 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#8 bardolph

bardolph

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

then in the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file (xubuntu) I inserted the following entry:

menuentry "Mandriva 2010" {

insmod ext2

set root=(sd1,6)

linux (sd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz

initrd (sd1,6)/boot/initrd.img

}

the hdd is secondary in my laptop so i put sd1

then i receive that mandriva cannot find that partition and that it has to boot kernel :vava:

but then i tried sd0 and it worked - obviously for grub the hdd is primary... :teehee:

Edited by bardolph, 02 July 2011 - 04:39 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!